𝐔𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥 [𝐣𝐨𝐬𝐡𝐮𝐚, 𝐬𝐯𝐭] ✓

joshua x fem¡reader

• partly inspired by his and Vernon's track "2 MINUS 1"

~~~

"This wasn't supposed to happen, Hansol." Joshua groans softly, shutting his eyes and placing his head on the table.

The waitress approaches warily, but Hansol flashes her a smile and waves her away. "I know, Joshua."

"I'm supposed to be recovering, not rediscovering Hansol !" He says loudly, throwing his hands up in an annoyed manner.

Hansol takes a sip of his drink. "I know, Joshua."

Joshua throws the rest of his whiskey down his throat, before smacking the glass back down, the table almost shaking beneath the impact. "And why is she so goddamn irresistible Hansol !"

Hansol purses his lips, shrugging. "I don't know, Joshua."

Joshua's lids felt heavy, so his glare seemed extra heated when he looks at Hansol now, very displeased with his friends replies. "Is that all ?"

Hansol's phone dings with a message, and he only needs to briefly check it before standing. "Yeah," he starts as he shoves his phone into his pocket. "Joshua, you're either gonna have to endure these feelings or act on them. Now come on."

Joshua looks confusedly at his friend as he rises slowly. "Where are we going exactly ?"

"Y/n's waiting outside for us."

•••

As much as Joshua wanted to protest and run the other way, he didn't want to be impolite and ditch you and Hansol - besides, he literally didn't know anyone else in the city, and despite Hansol telling him countless times that you and him are just childhood best friends, he still felt a twinge of jealousy whenever you two interacted.

Joshua was hoping the three of you would go somewhere busy and bustling with people, because at least that way he'd find it a little easier to focus on everything but your presence that always somehow fell beside him.

But alas, he had run out of luck, and ended up in the last place he wanted to be: your apartment.

"Alrighty," the two boys behind you follow suit in switching their shoes out for some comfy slippers. "Hansol, the cards are in the cabinet under the TV. I'll get some snacks and beers ready."

"Cool. Shua, you can help Y/n." with a cheeky grin Hansol slaps his friends shoulder, completely ignoring the crude look he sent his way.

Joshua nervously follows you into your kitchen, awaiting your instructions. Your gaze settles on his clearly uncomfortable figure, and a little laugh leaves your lips. "We've hung out everyday since you two arrived last month, so why are you still nervous Shua ?"

He shivers at the use of his nickname, because somehow, it sounded so much better coming out of her mouth. "Sorry," is all he could come up with as he shrugs.

You shake your head, passing two bowls his way and finding two bags of potato chips from your snacks pantry. "You don't have to apologize, I just find it a little funny."

"Why's that ?" he asks, opening the first bag to spill it's salty contents into a bowl. He almost freezes when he feels your warm presence beside him as you pour out the second bag.

"Well, when Hansol talked over FaceTime, he told me you were very confident, extroverted and outspoken," grabbing three glasses of beer from your fridge, you place it down before turning to look up at Joshua now. "And I get that vibe from you actually, but it just seems there's something, I don't know, restricting you ?"

Joshua, as much as he didn't want to, turns to look down into your endearing eyes. "Restricting me ?"

You nod. "Yeah, like there's something you're holding back," taking a step forward, Joshua holds his breath when you tilt your head up and squint at him. "Something you're hiding from me, Joshua."

"Hiding ?" he gulps, unable to meet your playful behavior with one of his natural, witty comebacks.

You hum in response, tilting your head to the side. Since meeting Joshua, you've undoubtedly developed a little crush on him. He's unlike any guy you've ever met - not only did he have the features of a God, his charisma and honey-like voice reeled you in almost instantly. When he wasn't being a quiet and nervous body around you, he made you laugh with his banter he often conducted with Hansol.

But you couldn't forget why exactly Hansol brought his friend all the way from South Korea to New York - Joshua was he to recover from a messy breakup, so you felt enticing him into a new one was unfair on his feelings and emotions.

Little did you know of course, you've already been unintentionally luring him in.

"I wish we met sooner, Y/n."

Joshua's statement fiddles with your thoughts, and a question gaze settles in your eyes.

"How soon ?"

He releases a strained chuckle. "Like, two years ago."

"Like...before your ex ?" it was just an assumption, but Joshua's gaze silently agreed.

A silence settles between you two then, neither one of you knowing how to express how you feel. Initially you weren't planing to confess, and you hoped that when Joshua and Hansol fly back in a few weeks you'd just get over it - but this look Joshua had in his soft, brown eyes, it sent your heart into overdrive, and this feeling wasn't one you just 'get over'.

"I wish I was ready Y/n," he whispers now, his choice sounding shakier than intended. "I want to be ready, Y/n. I'm sor-"

Not allowing him to finish his sentence, you reach up and hold his cheeks in your palms, pushing on your tippy toes to plant a lingering, gentle kiss on his forehead.

Joshua's hands find their way around your waist, and he melts into your hold as his head rests against your shoulder.

"Don't apologize Joshua. I'll wait-"

"I can't ask you to do that Y/n."

"You're not asking me," he meets your gaze now, and you sweetly caress his soft cheeks with your thumbs. "I'm telling you."

This wasn't some crush, and you were quickly realizing this as you stared into a pair of eyes that you felt safe in; you were wrapped up in arms that were warm and secure, and you just knew these feelings were going to stick around for a long time.

A smile takes to Joshua's lips now; it was the one that reached his eyes, and it was your favourite sight. He leans down, and kisses the smooth spot between your eyebrows before resting his head against yours.

"Thank you, Y/n."