𝐈 𝐀𝐦 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬 [𝐭𝐡𝐞8, 𝐬𝐯𝐭] ✓

minghao(the8) x fem!reader

• inspo from 'The Last Of The Real Ones' by Fall Out Boys

~~~

"So whom shall you pick as your prestigious bride, Your Highness ?" the servant asks beside Minghao asks, as the oldest son of the Xu line stands before the towns most prestigious residents.

You, the head of the kingdom's knights, stand a rulers length away on his right, hands clasped behind you, your spine straight, your posture could only be described as perfect.

Numerous woman, all noble enough to sit beside Minghao on the throne, but did he want any of them ? No.

He wasn't in love with anyone in the room, but he had a best friend - he had someone he valued more than his title, more than his own life. The only problem was, was it insensitive to choose this person ?

You had told Minghao months ago of your romantic feelings towards him, but you never expected nor asked for his answer or reciprocation of those said feelings - and so the two of you just continued being beside friend.

He'd rather spend the rest of his life without an heir and grow old with his best friend, then marry someone he doesn't know and couldn't be bothered to speak to - and so, he made his decision, deciding to face your wrath after his announcement.

And so, he turns to his right, his stature surpassing yours, brown eyes settling on your now curious gaze.

"Lady Y/n."

The ballroom erupts in sounds of confusion and astonishment - even Minghao's duke friends, whom he usually tells everything too, were wide-eyed at his decision; they knew he adored you, just unbeknownst how much exactly.

Four months later...

Now you're here, in your shared bedroom that held to separate king-sized beds on opposite sides of the room, preparing for your wedding.

"The gardens ?"

You nod, showing Minghao the rough sketch of the layout you made in the free time you scored - ever since your engagement, your days have been flooded with planning and fittings.

"Yeah, it's Spring, so the cherry blossoms will be in full bloom !" you chirp excitedly. It suprised you how Minghao was able to convince you to accept his proposal...that was of course, until your remembered how irrevocably in love you are with him, and your heart and brain worked in unison when it came to Xu Minghao - however of course, there was still that pain that lingered...

He doesn't love me the way I love him...

"Lady Y/n ?"

There's a sudden knock on the door, and you rise from your large shared desk, moving towards the large double doors to answer. "Yes ?"

"A letter had just arrived from The Seventh Kingdom, and I was asked to deliver it directly to the head of Pledis Kingdom's Knights Commission."

Nodding your head in thanks, you turn and close the door as your read the contents of the letter - you've been so busy with wedding preparations, you almost forgot your original job.

"What do they want Y/n ?"

There was a strange tone to Minghao's voice, one you weren't quite familiar with, despite knowing for more than half of your life. As you spoke, the annoyance in him only grew, along with urge to throw the closest thing in frustration - he was officially sick of all these incoming letters, demanding you specifically for the task.

"Mhm, it seems King Jin would me and a few of my best Knights to travel to The Seventh Kingdom for some special meeting," you read, already deciding who you'd bring to accompany you. "I'd for sure bring Sungcheol, Mingyu, and Jihoon. Maybe-"

"Don't bother deciding," Minghao suddenly interjects, crossing one leg over the other, and leaning back against the desk. "You're not going."

This was strange behavior - Minghao had never been opposed of you tending to your duties, so why did he all of a sudden have a problem ?"

"What ? Why ?"

"Because," he shrugs. "You're two weeks away from being the Queen of Pledis Kingdom Y/n, your duties lie here now."

You fold your arms over your chest, quirking a brow at his attitude. "Minghao, I'm still the head of the Kinights Commission-"

"No, actually you're not. I'm not quite sure why the letter was delivered to you, it was supposed to be given to Sungcheol - like all the others."

This caught your attention now, and you tilt your head forward in confusion. " 'Others' ?" He nods casually, not at fazed by your clearly incoming outburst. "I've been getting letters of service, and you've sent them all to Sungcheol ?"

"Yes."

"Minghao, what gives you the right-"

"I'm the King Y/n," he stands now, taking slow steps towards you. "I can do whatever I want."

He had you there yes, but you were in no way enjoying this sudden arrogant attitude of his. You narrowed your gaze up at him as he stood close now, staring down with a new emotion swirling in his eyes - and then it struck you.

You recognized that emotion, because you were very familiar to it, and felt it everytime your thought of the man before you - but you had to here him say it.

"Why, Minghao ?"

"Because Y/n, I'm sick of constant requests coming in, asking for you. Almost each and every one of them wanted something that required your undivided attention, and I loathe it," He says in a low tone, the emotion in his gaze intensifying. "I don't know why I didn't expect this honestly."

"Expect what ?"

It's quiet for a while, Minghao just staring down at you, a small smirk taking to his lips. "I'm sorry you had to for me Y/n," he takes your face gently in his grasp. "But there's no more waiting now. You're mine, and I am yours."

Those three words...that's all you've ever wanted to hear him say.

You step closer, closing your eyes, and rest your forehead against his. "Minghao, say it again."

He places a soft kiss to your head, before whispering, "Y/n - I am yours."