32

September 28th
-

Colby stands in his kitchen, a water bottle in hand as he holds a conversation with his mother as she cooks lunch.

His head snaps over to the telephone as it's haunting ring echos through his mind.

"Well? Are you gonna get it or just stare at it sweetie?" Pat asks, laughing softly at his deer in headlights like pose.

"I- um why me? can't you get it? not like it's meant for me" Colby shrugs it off not daring to answer it knowing it's most likely Sam.

Soon, it's finally over, a thick silence blanketing over the two.

Colby finally relaxes, he's been trying his hardest to ignore the blonde.

He overly upset with him despite his words expressing his understanding of the blondes path of his happiness.

"Of course it was," she laughs softly.

"Only Sam calls on that, dear, why don't you call him back, yes? you haven't hung out with him for a while" she says as she wipes her hands on her apron.

"I know.." he whispers, staring at the telephone as it begins to ring again.

"Okay.. I'll get it then" she says making her way over to the telephone.

She's a bit confused with his son's antics.

"Mom no-"

Colby tries but is too late when she grabs it.

"Hello..?" she says in slight confusion as she looks at her son.

Brows furrowed, a crease being created between her brows, showing off her confusion.

"Mom.." Colby trails off.

"Oh, hi Sam" she smiles looking over at Colby, giving him an all too familiar expression of 'I told you so'.

Colbys face falls, he doesn't want to speak with him.

"Oh.. you want to talk to Colby? of co-"

"No." he says seriously.

"Yeah, no that's okay he's not busy at all, he's right here for a matter of fact" She smiles.

"Here you are" she says, pulling the phone away from her ear and holding it out to Colby.

He looks at the plastic you call a phone and clenches his jaw.

Why can't she just listen to him?

"What's the matter hun? take it."

She wiggles the old phone causing the swirled cord to bounce.

Colby glances up at her than takes it with a defeated sigh.

She smiles before returning to her cooking duties.

"Um.. hello?" Sams voice shakily speaks on the other end.

He's waiting too long and doesn't know if anyone's there anymore.

"Hm?" Colby hums.

"H-hi."

Colby hums again, his heart aching at the sound of Sam's voice, it sounding dull and pained.

"Uhh can- can you say something? please?"

Colby sighs, laying his forehead against his arm as it's on the wall, closing his eyes.

"Please..?" he whispers.

He's scared, begging to hear Colbys voice.

He wants them to be okay.

He desperately needs that.

"What Sam? Why did you call?" his voice rasps out.

"I want to apologize" Sam whispers nervously.

"Mhm" Colby hums.

"Hey hun, lunch is ready for you on the stove" his mother informs, gently rubbing his back.

Colby hums his acknowledgement quietly.

"Thank you" he murmurs.

She hums patting his shoulder before walking out.

"Colby?"

"Hm?" Sam whimpers quietly before speaking.

"I-im so sorry" Colby bites his lip, his eyes welling with tears hating how broken the blonde sounds.

He hates it.

So much.

"Sam.." Colby trails off.

"Y'es?" He hiccups.

"Stop crying. Don't worry about me, I will be just fine, alright? worry about yourself, you made your decision and I'm okay with that, yeah? Just know that I will always be here if you really need me, alright?"

Colby speaks, keeping his tone soft yet serious.

Despite being upset with the boy, he wants to reassure him, to let him know he's not totally angry with his decision.

Because, well, he truly does want the boy happy, to not cry.

Sam lets out a shakey breath.

"B-but-"

"I have to go, yeah? I gotta go eat lunch."

He cuts him off.

He can't hear his voice any longer.

He knows if he does he'll cave, agree to be okay again, no matter how much he wants that to be the case, he can't.

He knows he's just in the way, blocking the chance of a perfectly fine relationship from growing.

All he's doing is making Sam's life harder.

"Wai-"

Colby hangs up.

He lets out a shakey breath.

A beat of silence goes by and he rubs his face, groaning in frustration.

"Fuck" he grunts.

He hates he let the blonde go.

Let him slip away so easily.

He wants everything to happen but this, he can't just allow the boy to run to Liam, but, if that's what the blonde chooses to do then fine.

He'll deal with it knowing he's happy, even, if that doesn't seem to be the case as of now.

He lets out a slow breath, stepping back from the wall.

He turns and retrieves his lunch.

Sam never leaving his mind.