"Interesting," murmured Dad. "How did you meet Charlie?"

"At her college. I was teaching a class there and she was in the midst of getting extra credit. She happened to take my class and we talked a bit afterwards since she had some questions for me. We hit it off and have been pretty close for three, nearly four years."

"Four years!" Mom's loud outburst startled me, so my hand jerked and the fork flew.

As though it was in slow motion, I watched bits of food fly off the fork, across the table, and then onto Mom's dress. My face paled and I quickly apologized. She looked furious. I couldn't breathe from the pure fury she was holding back. However, Denver managed to assess the situation and calmed the growing tension with a few words. Mom calmed down and wiped the mashed potatoes off her dress. Thankfully, the cranberry sauce had only landed on the tablecloth.

"I'm really s-sorry, Mom." I said softly, my breath shaky as the knot in my stomach grew bigger. She gave me the tightest smile I had ever seen. My stomach churned and I wanted to vomit.

"It's fine," she responded stiffly. "I shouldn't have shouted."

"Anyway, Mom, I don't know why you're so surprised. He's a friend."

Mom regained her composure a moment later. "Charlie, the charade is up. Don't you have something to say to your father and I?"

Charlie's back straightened. "What are you talking about?" she asked in a scared tone, barely able to keep the trembles from entering her voice.

Dad leaned forward. "Come now, Charlie. It's a bit strange to not bring home any friends since high school and then you suddenly bring a guy over. So, how long have you been dating him?"

Denver coughed from inhaling sharply and Charlie made a disgusted expression. She sighed and rubbed her temples. "Actually, Denver really is just my friend. I had told him about Emil and he has been wanting to meet him for quite awhile now. This was the only day he was available in the past six months."

"Booked out for months?" murmured Mom. "Who are you? Some kind of bigshot?"

Denver scratched his head, pushing his shoulder-length, dark brown hair back a bit. I kind of wanted to braid it but kept my fingers to myself for obvious reasons. I'm such a weirdo.

"I suppose you could say that, Mrs. Robertson. I am well-known in my line of work." he replied, leaning towards me in order to grab his wallet from his back pocket. Thanks to that action, I got another whiff of his comforting scent.

Denver fished out his business card and handed it to my mom, then put his wallet away. I was still itching to push my fingers through his wavy hair. Denver looked over and tousled my hair again, making me smile once more.

Mom and Dad peered at the card in silence, then the latter looked up. "Why did you want to meet Emil?"

"Because he sounded like an interesting young man," replied Denver with a warm smile. "And I wondered if he was anything like Charlie."

"Impossible," scoffed Mom, rolling her eyes. She bit her tongue when Dad pinched her arm.

"Do you think he has a mental problem?" asked Dad, glancing at me. I lowered my gaze.

"No, not exactly. I know why he is the way he is, though."

Mom and Dad both visibly paled. "Did he slip back?" they asked, almost at the same time.

My heart sank at their horrified expressions. They're really ashamed of me. "Um, I've finished eating. May I please be excused?"

"Fine, but don't go into your room until Denver leaves."