No Breaks

Roman Torchwick was in a bad mood tonight. Did he manage to rally the White Fang in Vale and get them into this oversized tomb? Yes. Had he sabotaged the authorities and Huntsmen by robbing as much Dust as he could and supplying the White Fang? Yes. Even so, he had been undermined. He could not get those two women that showed up at the rally off his mind. If there were intruders, he would have expected the cat girl, Red or the monkey guy to show. Instead, it was two Faunus that not only got away, but wrecked his display prize to eliminate pursuit.

Those two were not kids. They were professionals. Yet Roman had been unable to find them in Vale's database through his encrypted Scroll. To make matters worse, there were rumors about advanced Atlesian soldiers with weapon exoskeletons. Roman glimpsed similar things in the silhouettes of the intruders. That made it worse that they could be some kind of Atlesian black ops.

"Roman?" One White Fang member walked up to him. The glasses in front of the mask identified the man as Perry.

Roman gave one last whiff of his cigar before he discarded it. "What is it now?"

"We're about halfway done loading the train, but several of our patrols reported seeing strange flying objects today. They're different from before."

"How?"

"Well now their blue and white, and they have a star on their wings." Perry reported. Previously, they had seen these flying objects, but with a red circle and way too high to be searching Mountain Glen specifically.

"Are you sure they're not getting high on Dust particles?" Roman asked dismissively.

BOOM!

Before Perry could respond, they heard a distant explosion. Further distant clamoring could be heard along with small arms fire.

"WHAT is going on here?!" Roman shouted amidst a din of explosions. From a corner a block away came a group of White Fang grunts. They are firing at whatever was behind them. Then Roman felt dread when they were blown apart by return fire. Literally blown apart once any aura was depleted. Whoever it was was packing a lot of heat.

The attackers rounded the corner. Roman scowled when he saw Red, and she had brought friends. Friends with rather big guns on insect like limbs from their back. Roman spun on the terrorist next to him.

"Attach this cart and spread the word: We're starting the train!" He ordered.

"But we're not finished!"

Roman responded to this protest by pinning him to the train car with Melodic Cugel.

"Do it, or YOU'RE finished!" He threatened.

They had to go now, or they were all finished.

.......

Ruby felt nauseous. When she started this attack on the White Fang, she imagined beating up the bad guys in a blaze of glory. Cleveland, Helena and Laffey brought extra firepower to help which made it better, or so she thought. When she salivated over the Oerlikon 20 millimeter and Bofors 40 millimeter in action, she imagine that it was tearing up Grimm. Soulless creatures of which there was no need to think of their suffering.

What she did not expect was what the ship girl's weapons did to other people. The cannons meant for taking out aircraft would often deplete aura from several or even one near miss or direct hit. Then bits of body were straight up blown apart. Arms, legs, heads and entrails went flying. Worse still, she saw Cleveland and the others did not even blink at the violence. That was when it hit Ruby: this was not a fairy tale. This was war. She heard their stories, but she had not seen it firsthand until now.