Chapter 6 ~ Hideaway

Song of the chapter - The Audacity Emlyn

When I pull into my driveway, Jamie's waiting by the door. His car is parked down the street. I can see a figure inside, probably Liam or Cynthia. I try to push past him to get inside, but footballs made him a lot stronger than me.

"Just listen, Mads." He says, grabbing me by the arms. "I am sorry."

"Sorry doesn't just magically fix everything! Jeez Jamie, I didn't think you were this stupid!" I yell, shaking myself loose. I start walking down to my car, but he grabs me and spins me to face him.

"Mads, Cynthia was a mistake,"

"Not just one mistake. You made those choices, and I made mine. Let me go." I get my arms free and shove him as hard as I can and walk to my car.

"Mads," Jamie says, looking so deflated, so unlike the boy I know.

"Don't call me that. You haven't earnt that privilege." I start my car again and drive away. As I go past, I see Jamie standing in front of my small house covered with peeling paint.

~~~

"You would not believe this!" Rachel bounds into my room holding a bag of snakes and her phone.

"What's up now?" I ask, covering my face with a pillow. "Has one of the 'main players' switched sides?"

"No, but Cynthia's decided to play victim. She posted a story to that song by Sabrina Carpenter," Rachel sits on my bed and pulls the pillow off my face. "The because I liked a boy one."

"Weirdo," I say, sitting up and grabbing my pillow back. I tug it free and smack her with it.

"Oh now you've messed up." Rachel grabs a bigger pillow, and we end up pillow fighting for about half an hour.

"Well I was going to drag you to the gym, but this was a good workout Mads," she says, dramatically falling to the floor. "Same time next week?"

"Of course," I say, sitting next to her. "If you survive round two, that is!"

"Round two?" Rachel asks, lifting her head up, and I smack it down again. "I give up. You win."

"If only Jamie would just give up," I groan, throwing the pillows on my bed and lying next to Rachel. "He was here when I came home from school."

"Fucktart. What did he want?" Rachel rolls onto her side and props herself up.

"Me back. He was saying all this shit about how Cynthia was a mistake,"

"Damn right she was! He had the best girl he could ever pull, and he threw it down the drain," Rachel stands and pulls me to my feet.

"Do we have to go outside? Him or Liam will be waiting somewhere to jump at me again," I whine. Rachel puts her hands on her hips and sighs.

"Do you want to be the hot ex or not, Mads?"

~~~

"Mom, can I stay at Rachel's for the weekend?" I ask, using the wall to spin into the kitchen. "I'll go with her tonight after school and come back after school on Monday,"

Mom looks up from preparing dinner. She smiles at me tiredly. "Of course, Hun, do whatever." The black circles under her eyes stand out on her pale skin.

"Maybe you should take a day off," I say, frowning at the unnatural redness on her cheek. If I squint, it almost looks like a hand mark.

"Yeah, I'll talk to my boss about it. Go now, you'll be late." She says, waving a hand distractedly.