mother and fathers... 12

my mask slid back on as i held my hand against my swords hilt, Kohana must have Kiyoshi must have returned to the temple after using the money I gave them for clothes and shoes. Kohana will most likely want to head back into town to buy some hairpins tomorrow.

Before long, we needed to halt at a crossroads; right, we may end up stuck here if we choose the wrong path! Standing up, I looked behind us. Even if there was some way to help, brother, I couldn't with ghosts on our trail!

I could hear Xie Lian struggle to choose a path; the ghosts are growing closer! hurry, Hurry!

"They're almost here, flower sword!" I shouted and panicked. If they know me, then they will surely tell my brother what happened to me before Xianle fell!

"Hang on, snow lotus!" He called back, showing my canine behind my mask. A low growl grew from my windpipes. The ghosts were closing in; we need to get out of this predicament! The air and aura of the forest grew colder. An eerie, almost dangerous aura surrounded us. These ghosts are getting too close!

After a third tap of wood, we began to move again. This time it was towards a potential escape, but these ghosts will have something up their sleeves. Setting myself back in my seat, the road ahead looked promising. That is, until the ghosts from before appeared ahead of us!

turning to Hong-er as Brother halted the cart before closing my eyes. By surrounding Frost, I could see everything that was moving and what was close to me. The ghosts remained distant, but Honger kept composed and remained still with closed eyes. We will both act if and when necessary. My mind kept swapping between my brother and the ghosts.

"You're the one who put out their flames!" The head ghost spat; his lack of manners made my blood boil. especially since my brother did nothing.

"It wasn't me,brother began as he slid his hands from each other into his sleeves. "I'm just a humble scrap collector."

"We know your a Daoist; who else would destroy a ghost?"

"There are others who would exterminate your kind," I said, my eyes still closed and the surrounding frost still active. "Other ghosts, for example, may want to reach a higher rank."

"Ha ha ha! You've surely lost your heads!" The first ghost spoke again. This time, after he was done, a ghost beside him lunged towards us.

"You're gonna pay!" He cried, his claws ready. Hong-er and I turned to him with a sharp glare, my eyes turning dark at the white, my growl hinting at my hidden canine. while Hong-er's eyes glowed in a crimson shade of honey.

This stopped the ghost with a halt as he gasped in fear, trembling in a sort of shiver. He knows my eyes just as well as Honger's.

"for what?" Xie Lian asked. The ghosts flew off, but not before dropping a golden object on the ground. confused, I slipped out of my seat to investigate. The closer I came to the object, the more I could see it, and the more it looked like two separate golden accessories for a noble.

shuddering at a stop, the objects I saw were from Xianle's mother and father's crowns.

"Brother..." I squeaked, tears clawing at my eyes. He rushed to me as I fell to my knees, taking the crowns in my hands. wanting to sob and cry, but also wanting to remain brave and strong. I felt my brother shadow over me before kneeling next to me.

Turning to him with a sad look in my eyes through the fox mask, he saw the crowns. The look he gave me only reminded me of how I failed to save them. It was the same look when we saw them, lifeless before us.