little boy.5

Xie Lian and I followed the shadow as a silver butterfly flew inside. The building is ancient, and I can smell death chi swarming out the cracks and crevices of the old wood and stone holding this temple together. The sent could ward off or even attract Qi Rong; his attitude is similar to that of someone I knew before ascending.

I remained outside of the inner building while Xie Lian headed inside. looking around the gates and walls, but the shadow of a little boy kept appearing and then disappearing. The small figure seemed skittish, but he looked as if he was trying to hide and lead the way through this place. i kept trying to search for this child; it's like he wants me to find him, but he's scared to face me.

The walls of this temple seem to breathe, the air emanating off the walls as the formation seemed to move. Every step seemed to draw me further away from brother. That's when I heard the small whimper of a young child. The sound sounded as if muffled, and a small silhouette could be seen huddled in the corner with fear radiating off it's shivers.

I held my hand shut as it remained stiff and stretched, applying pressure against my palm and conjuring a slight blue glow. spreading my fingers to show the light I held in my palm, and the little boy crouched as he tried to hide his stitched-closed mouth. The cold ache in my chest sifted to my heart. The irony of this is that my powers are of ice and snow, along with a white lotus light. The lotus I have loved since I was young and learned that 'Lian' means Lotus, and the Lotus light in my palm was lifted above us.

placing my hand gently on his face, he flinched. The light revealed sunken cheeks, scars of chopped-away ears, a missing left hand, and ribs showing above his sunken stomach. The pants he had were held loose against his bony waist, and his ankles were covered with scars. This boy has been dead for years. He's a ghost. A sympathetic look crossed my face. The boy looked scared and prepared to be hit.

My fingers were held against his soft and scarred face. I leaned forward to him and placed a gentle kiss on his forehead. Pulling my face away to look at him in the eye, he looked confused and didn't know how to react. I brushed his cheek with my thumb as he looked at me, slipping my hand down to his chin for a better view of what happened to him while he was alive.

"Let's get you patched up after this," I said to him. A light sparkled in his shadowy, pupilless eyes. The raven locks, with tangles every three strands, swayed as the red brick walls ceased their breath. Unexpectedly, he jumped up to me and gave me a tight hug. Wrapping my arms around this child, sitting on the stone ground floor dusted with gravel and dirt, I could hear him sniffle against my ear.

lifting him up off the ground in my arms as my mother did when I was hurt as a young child after Brother left to get her. Holding this young boy, I could feel him squeeze his arms around my shoulders as if scared to be abandoned again. The sound of stomping of some sort could be heard, and the boy began to shiver in fear. springing over the wall with the little boy, I made my escape with him.

We landed next to the outer wall with a harsh thud as my kimono lifted with the air lifting against it. Thinking back to the building, that's when I realized

"Xie Lian." I gasped harshly as a black smoke ghost came bursting out with Lian not far behind. This released an unnoticed tight muscle in my chest and let a breath escape my lips. Looking at the boy, I realized I hadn't taken away the stitching. lifting my right hand elegantly as I wiped away the scar as if nothing, the stitched scar faded away as dust in the wind. His cough was dry and fumed with dust.

noticing the little boy flinch to someone rustling the bushes nearby, I slid the white and blue fox mask over my face, only showing my silver-blue gradient eyes with lashes as light as my snow hair.