Book 6, chapter 1, Saint Mungos

Start from the beginning

Remus laughed slightly, despite his grief, surprising even himself.

Severus looked rather confused.

"Sorry, " Remus said quietly, tears still dripping down his face, "I just, out of all people, never expected Severus Snape to offer me a hug."

"That's fair," Severus responded, "do you want one though? She-" he nodded to Hari "conditioned me into them and she probably did with you too."

Remus couldn't lie, he just tiredly nodded his head.

Severus pulled him into a hug. It was surprisingly nice, he'd never expected Severus Snape would give nice hugs. He wondered what Sirius would think. Sirius-

He broke down into sobs again and arms tightened around him. For a minute he forgot where he was, collapsing into the arms holding him, feeling like someone really cared for once.

When he pulled away from the other man he was crying as well.

"I'm sorry," Remus apologized, "I just- I've been- I've"

"Been alone for too long, I get it." Severus said.

Remus felt an ache at that, that had partly been his fault and he would always regret it.

 "I've brought you food," Severus held out a box that smelled amazing, "you need to eat."

"I can't, I-"

"You're of no use to Hari if you're starving yourself to death. You want to help her right?"

Remus nodded, wiping the tears from his face with his sleeve.

"Then eat." Severus said, holding eye contact as he pushed the box into Remus's arms.

Remus nodded, taking the box. "Why are you helping me?"

"I care about Hari," he paused, "and we're the only two left, we've got to stick together."

Remus watched him, sure there was something else.

"Unfortunately," Severus said, "I'm also here on official order business."

Remus could hear the disdain that so many of them felt for Dumbledore in Severus' voice. However, just as Remus did, Severus also depended on the senile old man's influence to be able to live a somewhat normal life.

"What does our 'great leader' want now?" Remus asked, taking a bite of one of the sandwiches the other had brought him.

"He's offering you a 'very important mission,' that for your own safety and sanity, I suggest not taking."

"What is it?" Remus asked.

Severus punched the bridge of his nose between his fingers, "he wants you to go seek out packs of werewolves...... befriend them...... and turn them against Voldemort....." he said exasperatedly, "seriously, how stupid does that man think you-"

"I'll do it." Remus said.

"-are." Severus finished, "as stupid as you are apparently." He sighed, "Lupin I know that grief can make you not think but don't put yourself in danger just to distract yourself from what's happening. Your god-daughter needs you."

Remus stood up, "No... You're wrong. she needs you not me. I can do nothing for her." He turned for the door, "look after her Severus."

And just like that, he left, leaving Severus beside the softly breathing form that was the only reason that either of them was still alive.

•   •   •

[Hermione's POV]

If there was anything Hermione Granger was expecting on a random Sunday morning, it was not a tired looking owl with a massive parcel landing on the middle of the table as she and her parents ate breakfast.

Her parents shrieked the bird landed and Hermione quickly grabbed it off the table and ran for her room with a hurried "sorry sorry I'll be back."

She placed the bird on her desk and freed in from the package, immediately recognizing the slanting handwriting in green ink on the top. What did the old man want from her?

It was addressed to Miss Hermione Granger from The Man behind the Griffin.

She opened the package gingerly, half worried it would explode.

Inside the box were 3 things, a wrapped bundle, a note, and a mirror.

She picked up the note.

Dear Miss Granger,

I'm sorry that we haven't spoken for a while. Getting expelled from your own school makes it a bit hard to get in contact with your students. Before you tear up this note and smash my gifts I suggest you hear me out.

Hermione sighed, she might as well, she had nothing to loose.

Inside this box you should find a mirror and a ball. The mirror is connected to one I have so I can talk to you.

She picked up the mirror and tapped on it, "hey! Professor! Lemon drop?"

There was no answer.

She picked up the note again.

Unfortunately, the mirror will only connect us if I call you, you cannot contact me.

Dammit, he was annoying.

The second is something that was found in Ronald Weasley's pocket. I thought you might appreciate it.

Or, you know, you could have given it to his family you senile old man, she thought as she unwrapped it.

It was a glass ball, and as she touched it with her bare hand, it glowed. She looked back at the note.

It contains a prophesy involving your dear friend Hari and your not so dear friend Tom Riddle aka Voldemort. I know you don't put much stock in prophecies and neither do I, but this one is legitimate.

The incantation to listen to it is just "revelio." I suggest you get ink and parchment ready.

Hermione grabbed a notepad and pen off her shelf. Ink and parchment, yeah right, like she used that insanity in the summer.

Pulling out her wand she muttered "revelio."

The ball began to speak, the glowing smoke inside it swirling.

The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches...

born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies...

and the Dark Lord will mark the one as his equal, but the one will have power the Dark Lord knows not...

and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives...

the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies....

What? This was about Hari? She was the only one with the power to defeat Voldemort? Hold up she had to write this down. Picking up her quill, Hermione cast revelio again.