Ron's blunder

Hari slept in late the on the first day of winter break, yawning, she glanced at Hermione, who was on her bunk reading before making her way down to the common room.

As she made her way down the stairs, she saw Ron sitting ashen-faced in a distant corner. Ginny was sitting with him, who seemed to be trying to sooth him.

#) What's up, Ron (# said Harry, joining them.

Ron looked up at Hari, a sort of blind horror in his face.

"Why did I do it?" Ron said wildly. "I don't know what made me do it!"

#) What did he do? (# Hari asked Ginny.

"He - er - just asked Delacour to go to the ball with him," said Ginny, fighting back a smile, patting Ron's arm sympathetically.

#) Why'd you ask Fleur to the ball? (#

"I don't know what made me do it!" Ron said again, putting his head in his hands. "What was I playing at? There were people - all around - I've gone mad - everyone watching! I was just walking past her in the entrance hall - she was standing there talking to Diggory - and it sort of came over me - and I asked her!"

He pushed his hair our of his face.

"She looked at me like I was a sea slug or something. Didn't even answer. And then - I dunno - I just sort of came to my senses and ran for it."

#) She's part veela, (# Hari said, patting his shoulder on the other side. #) She was probably turning on the charm for Cedric, and you got a blast of it. (#

"This is mad," said Ron. "We're the only ones left who haven't got anyone - well, except Neville. Hey - guess who he asked? Hermione!"

#) What? (#  Hari said surprised, Hermione had a date.

"Yeah, I know!" said Ron, some of the colour coming back into his face as he started to laugh. "He told me after Potions! Said she's always been really nice, helping him out with work and stuff- but she told him she was already going with someone. Ha! As if! She just didn't want to go with Neville ... I mean, who would?"

Hari held a hand up, stopping him. #)  Stop! First of all, stop making fun of Neville, it's great that he got up the nerve to ask someone, especially the smartest witch in our year. And Hermione IS going with someone. (#

Just then Hermione climbed in through the portrait hole behind Ron.

"Who would want to go with Hermione, nobody likes her?" Ron said. Hari smacked him across the shoulder, "Just because you've been stupid and haven't found a date, doesn't mean she hasn't. (#

"All the good-looking ones taken, Ron?" said Hermione loftily, Ron jumped spinning. "Fallen so low that you want to go with me?"

Ron was staring at Hermione as though suddenly seeing her in a whole new light. "Hermione, you're a girl."

"Oh well spotted," she said acidly.

"Well - you can come with me!"

"No, I can't," snapped Hermione.

"Oh come on," he said impatiently, "we need partners, we're going to look really stupid if we haven't got any, everyone else has . . ."

"I can't come with you," said Hermione, "because I'm already going with someone."

"No, you're not!" said Ron. "You just said that to get rid of Neville!"

"Oh did I?" said Hermione, and her eyes flashed dangerously. "Just because it's taken you three years to notice, Ron, doesn't mean no one else has spotted I'm a girl!"