Maze

The start of the summer term came quickly. This, for Hari and Cedric, would usually mean that they were training hard for their last matches. However, they were making their way, side by side, down to the quidditch field after supper to meet with Bagman, who had summoned them.

"What d'you reckon it's going to be?" Cedric asked

#) I dunno, Fleur keeps going on about underground tunnels; she reckons we've got to find treasure.... I've got a niffler so that wouldn't be too bad. But I doubt it's that simple. (#

"Wait you have a niffler?" Cedric asked

By now, all of Gryffindor house knew of the niffler and there was a niffler proof basket in the common room that people would search through if they were missing something shiny. Hari was constantly finding other people's things in her pockets, bag and even her bed, and putting them into the basket.

#) Yeah. (# She reached into her bag, pulling out the small creature. #) Say hi to Duck! (# She noticed something. #) And Pavarti's bracelet, dammit not again. (#

"You named her Duck?"

#) Hey I thought it was cute! (# She pouted

"She does look like a duck"

Hari nodded, they had reached the edge of the quidditch pitch and Cedric stopped dead in his tracks. "What've they done to it?" He said indignantly

Hari looked around. The Quidditch field was no longer smooth and flat.  It was a maze of low hedges, they twisted and crisscrossed in every direction. 

Bagman was standing at the edge of the field with Krum and Fleur. 

"Well, what d'you think, Hari, Diggory?" said Bagman happily "Growing nicely, aren't they? Give them a month and Hagrid'll have them twenty feet high. Don't worry," he added, grinning, spotting the less-than-happy expressions on Hari's and Cedric's faces, "you'll have your Quidditch field back to normal once the task is over! Now, I imagine you can guess what we're making here?"

#) A maze out of our beautiful field. (#

"That's right!" said Bagman, ignoring her comment. "A maze. The third task's really very straightforward. The Triwizard Cup will be placed in the center of the maze. The first champion to touch it will receive full marks."

"We seemply 'ave to get through the maze?" said Fleur.

"There will be obstacles, miss Delacour" said Bagman happily, bouncing on the balls of his feet. "Hagrid is providing a number of creatures . . . then there will be spells that must be broken ... all that sort of thing, you know."

#) So a death maze for a bunch of kids. With things that can and will kill and eat us. (#

 "There's no need to get so annoyed about your field Hari!" Bagman said cheerfully.

#) If you're going to call the other champions by their last names than I'f prefer if you did that for me as well. (# Hari said in a sarcastic tone, #) Considering the fact that I don't know you. (#

 Bagman's cheer faded a little but he continued as though she hadn't said anything. "Now, the champion who is leading on points will get a head start into the maze." Bagman grinned at Cedric. "Then Mr. Krum and" He hesitated, "Hari will enter . . . then Miss Delacour. But you'll all be in with a fighting chance, depending how well you get past the obstacles. Should be fun, eh?"

Hari gave a sarcastic thumbs up.

"Very well. . . if you haven't got any questions, we'll go back up to the castle, shall we, it's a bit chilly. ..."