"Then tell her." I'd learnt a few things about waiting till the last minute to talk to people about how you felt and I wanted Devin to learn from my mistakes. "Tell her how you feel, tell her you'd wait until she was ready to let you in… tell her you love her."

Devin just stood beside me, staring for a second before quickly chugging down his drink and patting me on the back.

"Thanks Maddie, didn't know you were such a love therapist."

"I mean, it's just a side hustle," I joked. "That'll be thirty bucks sir."

We both laughed as someone stepped into the kitchen. It was Ashton.

His eyes lingered for a minute, like he was about to say something, then went to the dispenser where he grabbed a glass of water and made his way out.

"What was that about?" Devin asked, noticing the change in the atmosphere.

I shrugged uneasily.

I mean, it's not like he was my boyfriend or anything, right?

I casually finished my drink when my phone pinged. It was a text from Ashton.

Ashton- can we talk?

I immediately made an effort to tilt my phone from Devin's view, earning me narrowed eyes.

Maddie- sure, where are you?

"I'll be back," I said to Devin as I stood. "Have fun while I'm gone." My phone pinged once more as I got to the living room, my eyes searching for Ashton.

Ashton- meet you upstairs, last room to the left.

I made my way up the short flight of stairs into a hallway equally filled with students eager for a hookup. I casually pushed my way through, apologizing.

I silently slipped into the room.

At the centre of the room sat a relatively large bed, a bit disheveled from what I supposed was a recent hookup. A reading table and chair stood at the corner of the room, some books stacked on it with a small reading lamp.

The door creaked open. Ashton squeezed in, quickly closing the door behind him before someone could glance through.

This was it, a whole night at party I didn't even want to attend and now I finally got to see him

So I asked the most reasonable and rational question ever.

"Who's room is this?"

I didn't get a reply immediately, instead Ashton closed the gap between us, pulling me into a tender hug.

"Thompson's," he finally answered.

He cupped my chin, placing a light kiss on my forehead as he said "I've missed you."

He finally stepped back, his eyes falling on my outfit. His brows scrunched, then he stared back at me with a neutral look.

"Ashton, we need to talk," I said.

"I know… did you watch the match?"

"Yes…" I said, unable to look at him. "You almost killed him."

For a moment, there was silence. Ashtons gaze was now on the floor, his hands in his pockets. We both couldn't look at eachother, like we were afraid of what we'd see.

"You know, I thought you'd be a little more happy," he confessed.

"Ashton, you could have killed someone… what about that would make me happy?" I asked.

"He deserved it–"

"But do you?" I cut. "Do you think you could live with the yourself?"

The mood was slowly getting more tense, I could feel it. An uncomfortable silence followed. I took a step forward to him.

"That was me," he shot. "And I'm not sorry."

I didn't want him to be, he had nothing to apologize for, but I just didn't want him doing something he'd regret because of me. I doubted I'd be able to live with myself if that happened.

"I'm not sorry," Ashton repeated. "He had it coming and so does anyone who hurts my friends, much less my girlfriend."

"Ashton, I love you," I said, pacing a hand on his face. "You're strong and determined. I love you so much but I don't think you realise what could have happened, you could have lost everything in an instant if Joey died, your career, everything… is that worth it?"

Without skipping a beat, he replied. "Yes."

I sighed.

"And I'd do it again… that's just who I am… what about you?" He asked.

I took a step back, "what about me?"

"Is this who you are?" He gestured at my outfit. "Cause I was pretty sure the Maddie I knew last week was very much a sweatpants, loafers kind of girl."

I could feel a hard knot forming in my throat which I fought to swallow. How he'd managed to turn the question "Well it is now," I said. "Aren't you happy about the change? I stood up to Kelsie today–"

"And I'm so happy for you." He held me gently, his eyes fixed on mine as he wet his lip. "I'm so happy you're standing up for yourself… but that doesn't have to be tied to how you look… you don't have to feel like you need to meet a certain aesthetic to feel confident…"

I have a dry laugh, plopping down on the bed. "I'm just trying to meet your standards."

Call me insecure but it was true, everyone probably wondered what he saw in Maddison Maurice… And I wanted to prove them wrong.

His lips pressed together, blue gaze on me. For once, his soft blue eyes made me… uneasy.

"Is that what you really think? You're not my standard?"

I didn't know what to think, I didn't know because I also asked myself the same questions.

What, Ashton Malik, a young promising boxer and massive heartthrob did you see in me.

"Don't you see… you're my standards," he said.

He stepped closer, squatting an heirs breath away from me. "You don't have to prove anything to anyone… you're you and I love you for that."

I could feel my cheeks turning fifty shades of red. Ashton couldn't just do that, he didn't have the right to just drop such comments casually, leaving my heart fluttering.

"I love you Maddie," he said.

And I loved him. More than anything.

I didn't care…

I didn't care there was just a single door standing in between us and a thriving party, I didn't care if someone walked in on us, I didn't care about anything but him.

So I did the first impulsive thing that came to mind…

I pressed my lips against his.

•••

Omg! I try to keep my personal life away from my stories but this is somewhat related lol.

Was writing this chapter on the bus and this guy sitting right next to me just kept staring into my phone, when I was done. He literally stared at me and asked "so what happens next?"

Lmao! I was so embarrassed I tried to casually pretend I didn't hear him. We finally got talking and I lied it was just a story I was planning on publishing years later. I got his number but there's no way I'm telling him about my wattpad account so if he ever finds this…

Hi!
-Thea