Season 4 Episode 32

In fact, Cap was right and found her in Natasha's room. The door was unlocked, she had known it would make no sense. On the floor was her red battle suit and on the bed was a pile of misery in Nat's favorite blue sweater, which she had originally stolen from Steve himself years ago. Tasha would want her to have it. "May I come in?" he asked cautiously, already standing in the doorway, asking only out of politeness and not to upset her further. Addressed, she gave only an imperceptible nod and slid aside to make room for him. Rogers kicked off his shoes and climbed into bed next to his daughter only to be greeted by the lovely smell of his great love. Unable to say anything, he put his arm around the trembling body and noticed she had a picture in her arms. As Steve looked at the frame, he recognized on it Natasha, Abigail, Pepper, Tony, Danny and himself, just before everything had gone out of control in Sokovia and they had to record the first dead from that group.

For what felt like an eternity, the two lay there arm in arm, silently grieving, until Abi decided to confide in him. "I knew what the condition was to get the stone before we left." Her confession left Steve wondering, and he adjusted his position to look the one across from him in the eye. "When Nebula was so secretive about Vormir, I wanted to find out more to protect our team. Don't ask me how, but I managed to see into the future. There I saw Clint and Natasha fighting to sacrifice themselves because the condition for the stone is to lose the one you love the most. Nat won and sacrificed herself. As a consequence, in this version, I manipulated an entire town to play holy world in it with her, you and Danny." Abigail hesitated to give him time to understand all the dimensions of her words. "So my conclusion was to go there with Tasha and sacrifice myself so she could come home."

More tears found their way out of her blue eyes and dripped onto the pillowcase. Of course she kept the vision about Tony and about him to herself, who knew what kind of chain reaction it would set off if they knew about their death. But she wouldn't let it get that far. She was responsible for Natasha's death but she wouldn't be responsible for Tony's as well. "It's not your fault Abi," Steve assured her instantly, lifting her head onto his chest to stroke through her hair. "But I could have saved her. I could have saved all of you, " she sobbed, burying herself in the crook of his neck. "Sometimes it's not possible for us to save everyone, and Nat knew that. She knew what she was doing to protect you." Abigail said no more but Steve could tell how she was thinking. A little more than exactly five years ago was her first encounter with Agatha and the words she had spoken to her then had eaten into her subconscious.

Wherever she goes, death follows.

She had been right. Everyone who had given her love was dead or, as she knew, about to be. It was time to change something, that much was certain.