Season 4 Episode 20

"I got it," he announced. Then he pointed his chin at the device on his hand. "A fully functional space-time GPS." He acted all nonchalant and not at all as if he hadn't just created a working time machine. Abigail, on the other hand, couldn't manage to suppress her glee and literally jumped around Tony's neck. "It's okay little one," he whispered, returning the hug and pressing a kiss to her hairline. Steve stared at the two of them, not knowing what to say. Tony raised a hand and made the peace sign "I just want peace," he said, closing the car door. "At the end of the day, bitterness sucks, and I hate it."

"Me too," Steve agreed with him. "We have a chance to get the stones, but I'll also tell you where my priorities are." At last Tony became serious, and his voice resonated with strong emotion as Abigail broke away from him. "Bringing back what we lost. I hope so, yes. Keep what I found, whatever the cost." There was no way he would risk the lives of the people he loved most in this universe. The people who were more important to him than any other human being, himself included. Pepper, Abigail, Natasha, and his greatest creation: his daughter. Steve's optimism slowly returned. He reached out his hand to Tony, and he shook it. For the first time in years, the two shook hands.

"And not getting killed trying would be pretty nice, too," Tony added. "Sounds like a deal," Steve confirmed. Tony turned away from Steve and walked to the trunk of his car. He opened the hatch, reached in, and took out a large round object that lay under a plush dog and a blanket. Tony carried the toy and blanket back to the trunk. "Tony, I don't know ..." Steve stumbled and stared at the shield he had gotten from Howard Stark all those years ago. Tony took a step toward Steve, holding up the shield as he did so. "Why not? He made it for you," Tony urged him. "And I got to get it out of the garage before Morgan goes sledding with it."

"Good idea by the little one next winter I'll come visit her with the shield sometime," Abigail quipped as Steve took the shield off and slid his arm through the leather straps that were attached to the back. The weight was familiar to him and felt right. He lowered the shield. "Thanks, Tony." Steve was grateful to have the shield - and Tony - back. Tony reached into the trunk once more and grabbed an orange suitcase. Then he closed the trunk lid. "Keep it to yourself, though, if you can," Tony quipped, pointing to the shield. "I don't have anything for the others on the team."

"Not even for your favorite niece," Abigail complained, whereupon Tony opened the trunk again and pulled out the stuffed dog from earlier. "If you want little Stark to dig up your room to get this one back, I've got something for you too." The dog landed back in the cart and instead he pulled a chain out of his pocket and placed it in the smaller one's palm. "Of course I got something for my favorite niece." Hanging from the chain was a pendant, which reminded her very much of a small version of Cap's shield. "Thank you," she said gratefully, and gave him another hug. "We'll get the whole team, right?"

"We're working on that right now," Steve confirmed. With Tony's return, new energy had come to the Avengers' headquarters. You could feel it everywhere. It was as if they all suddenly believed that this thing could work. However, they were still missing Thor and Clint. That's why they sent Bruce and Rocket to get the God of Thunder and Natasha to get Hawkeye back on the team.

Abigail, meanwhile, stayed at headquarters to help those present with the preparations. After all, everything was supposed to work during this test run. Steve, who had also stayed since Natasha had thought it was better to meet Clint alone first, quickly noticed how tense Abi was during the preparations. "Hey, let's go cook dinner for everyone," he suggested to get the little one away from her work. After a few tries, he even managed to get her out of the garage and into the kitchen. As salt and flour landed on the countertop, they decided to make their own pasta to make a nice contrast to the otherwise simple fare. "Have you talked to her yet?" inquired Abigail, batting her eyelashes. "There I am trying to take your mind off things and you take every opportunity to squeeze me. Merciless like your mother," Steve quipped, poking her in the side. Startled, she backed up and threw a handful of flour at the captain.