Chapter 4

Copyright (c) 2013 - All rights reserved by the author.

_____________________________________________________________________________

"Applause waits on success."

                                Benjamin Franklin

         That night, I had a weird dream, full of flying bits of cheese with wings and flies made of gold. My mind is slightly messed up though, and it's not the first time I've had a dream like this, and it was definitely not the strangest, that I know for sure.

          The talent show was this evening, and palms had tarted to get clammy even now, ten hours away from the performance. I had made sure not to over practise otherwise it would sound mechanical and robotic.

           I had woken up at five this morning, an hour and a half later than I normally would. It showed by the bags underneath my eyes and my drooping eyelids. But I washed my face and had breakfast at home, for possibly the first time since I had started the school year. When I got to school, everything passed with a blur: in English, we studied 'Rebecca' again; history, the Industrial Revolution; ICT, we messed around on Skype while pretending to work on our 'Communications' project and finally a reading lesson for two hours, which was the perfect solution for my nerves.

          When I went home to get ready, I wasn't quite sure what to wear. I didn't want to appear too flashy, but on the other hand, I didn't really want to appear scruffy either. On the end, I chose a pair of light grey acid washed jeans paired with a light sea-blue t-shirt and a simple silver bracelet.

           My mum drove me to school and dropped me off at the reception where I saw this really posh guy in an expensive Italian suit. I frowned, but put it out of my mind: I had more important stuff to worry about.

           Backstage (so basically the gym which was attached to the hall), I was clutching my guitar for dear life and trying to take deep breaths. Michael was trying to calm me down, but failing miserably. He only made me more nervous, through no fault of his own. But I ended up thanking him but pushing him out into the hallway at the same time. He really was not helping.

           "Thank you Ryan for that... interesting performance," trailed off the presenter (my chemistry teacher in a suit) after the feeble applause stopped.

            The said Ryan came backstage looking incredibly pleased with his monologue act, even though it really had not been a success at all. I only hoped the same treatment wouldn't befall me.

             "And now, ladies and gentlemen, please welcome to the stage Emma White, playing the guitar and singing Autumn Leaves by Ed Sheeran!" My teacher stopped off the stage and nodded to me.

              The clapping came with a few whispers and glances, but I refused to let that get to me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Suit Guy looking up at me intently.

               When silence fell, I began strumming my guitar gently, not too loud.

Another day, another life,

Passes by just like mine,

It's not complicated.

Another mind, another soul,

Another body to grow old,

It's not complicated.

Do you ever wonder if stars shine out for you?

A silent tear dripped down onto my guitar.

Float down

Like autumn leaves

And Hush now

Close your eyes before the sleep

And you're miles away

And yesterday you were here with me

Another tear, another cry

Another place for us to die

Its not complicated

Another life that's gone to waste

Another light lost from your face

It's complicated

Is it that it's over or do birds still sing for you?

Float down,

Like autumn leaves.

And Hush now,

Close your eyes before the sleep.

And you're miles away,

And yesterday you were here with me.

Ooh how I miss you,

My symphony played the song that carried you out,

And Ooh how I miss you,

I miss you and I wish you'd stay.

Do you ever wonder if the stars shine out for you?

Float down

Like autumn leaves

And Hush now,

Close your eyes before the sleep.

And you're miles away,

And yesterday you were here with me.

Touch down,

Like a seven four seven.

Stay out and we'll live forever now.

I played the last chords and looked up. Everyone was looking at me. That's it, I thought. My non-existent social life has truly disappeared now. I stood up and was about to walk off when the whole hall erupted into a deafening roar of applause.