Chapter 3

• Dedicated to My Dad

Copyright (c) 2013 - ALl rights reserved by the author.

Dedicated to my dad for the story he told me all of the time when I was little (with a few changes, of course).

_____________________________________________________________________________ 

       "Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives."

                 Charles William Dement

       Practising for the talent show filled up any spare time that I had. I began playing my guitar and singing the song whenever I could, when I came home from school (provided my homework was finished - my mother wouldn't even let me participate in the contest if it got in the way of my schoolwork), on the weekends and even humming the song while I was trying to sleep.

       I was just strumming random chords absently on my guitar when my brother came in and sat next to me on my bed.

       "Hey Emma, can I tell you something?" He asked.

      "You just did," I joked, putting down my guitar and poking him in the ribs.

      " Don't do that!" he squealed, "it tickles!"

       I laughed and stopped tickling him. "What's up?"

      His expression turned serious and he told me: "You won't change, will you?"

      I frowned." What?" I exclaimed.

      "Promise me your won't change. Please." he pleaded, looking me in the eyes.

      "Harry, what on earth are you talking about?"

      "Please, Emma. Just for me?"

      "Alright," I stammered," I promise, but seriously Harry, what are you going on about? Are you okay?"

     "Yeah, I'm fine," he said, cheerful now.

     "Right," I said slowly. "Now get out, I'm practising."

     "Okay!" he said happily and practically bounced out of my room.

      I thought about the words Harry just said and shook my head.

      Probably something he had a nightmare about last night, about me changing. I probably changed into one of those monsters he sees in the films he watches.

      Probably.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      I was tossing and turning in bed for over two hours, unable to sleep, when my phone buzzed next to my bed. I picked it up, confused as to who would be calling me at 12:30 in the morning. When I saw the caller ID, though, I understood.

      "Hello Ellie. Why are you calling me at this time of night?" I said in a monotone voice.

      "Aw, don't be like that Emma! I knew that you would obviously be awake, since the talent show is tomorrow." she told me matter-of-factly.

      "Ellie, sleep." I told her firmly.

      "Fine then. But you'll be bored out of your skull until dawn now, and you know it." she huffed, playfully.

       "Yeah, yeah," I laughed, as quietly as I could, "see you tomorrow, Ellie."

       "Bye!" she exclaimed and moments later I heard the all too familiar beep on my phone.