She arched her head back, making the skin of her throat more accessible. Her hands were clamped on my shoulders, where they would move from there to my jaw.

"I bet she didn't like this"

I quit my actions, tightening my grip on Stella's skin before pulling myself as far away from her.

"Don't ever speak of her like that" I snapped.

"I'm sorry" she said, her eyebrows arching in guilt, "I didn't know it was still a touchy subject"

"That doesn't matter" I told her, "Don't talk about her"

She nodded, purposely letting the strap of her nightie fall.

"Are you going to make love to me now?" her eyes grew dark as she pouted.

I glared at her joking words, grabbing my coat and walking to the door.

"'Night Stella" I said through gritted teeth.

~ | _ | +

I exhaled, rummaging through the glove compartment and the dashboard of my car.

"What are you looking for?" Stella asked, slouched back in the passenger seat.

"Chocolate" I replied, receiving a strange look.

"Chocolate?" she emphasized, "Why do you need chocolate?"

I continued to look through my compartments, finding what I was looking for.

"It masks the smell" I told her.

"Aww, don't want mommy to know you've been drinking and smoking?" she cooed.

I glared wondering why I brought her, "Wait here" I told Stella, taking the keys out of the ignition and unlocking the car door.

I walked up the familiar stone path, popping a square of chocolate into my mouth and feeling the different sizes of rocks under the soles of my shoes.

I brought my knuckles to the door, tapping lightly knowing my mum hasn't changed out the sensitive wood.

I heard footsteps on the opposite side of the doorway and the locks unlatching seeing Gemma's glowing face open the door.

"Hi" I muttered, bringing her into my arms.

"Hey little brother" she breathed out, standing on her toes to reach my shoulders.

I asked for the letters, having her face fall, "Actually, mum wants to talk"

"Talk?"

"Talk" Gemma assured, letting my inside.

I sat on the same couch from my childhood, waiting for Gem to call out our mum.

I rubbed my hands together. My shoulders tensed, knowing that whatever my mother wanted to say wasn't going to be good.

"Harry" my mum walking out from the hallway, her voice sounding relieved.

I stood up, accepting her hug and bringing my nose to her hair like I would as a boy.

We sat back on the sofa, my mum I could tell was trying to look for the words to say.

"What have you been up too?" she asked with a smile.

I hesitated before answering, licking my lips, "I've been good" I replied.

"How's Vanessa?" she asked, knowing she was picking at a wound.

The pain in my mum's eyes told me she already knew the rather long answer to the question.

"She's well" I choked on the lie.