Melon

Legosi and Sameer were guided into an elevator by the coon hound, who selected B for the basement. The elevator opened to reveal a dark, stonewall hallway, that went on for about 80 feet. Sameer was immediately reminded of those old classic horror films he watched with his family on Halloween night. It sent chills up and down his spine. He and Legosi stepped out of the elevator. 

   "Enjoy your visit." the coon hound bidded farewell before riding the elevator back upstairs. Benji the hippo, who was in charge of the basement's main gate, greeted Legosi and Sameer. "Alright, gentlemen. My name is Benji. Before I let you in, I must address a few safety protocols that all visitors must follow with max-security prisoners: Stay at least a foot back from the prison bars. If you have any pens, pencils, or paperclips, turn them in here." Benji addressed. Legosi searched his pockets. All he had was his wallet and phone. "Are we allowed to bring these?" Legosi held out his phone. Benji nodded. "Yes." he replied, before pointing down the hallway. 

   "He's the last cell on the left. There's two chairs and a table that he requested, just for you." Benji added. Legosi furrowed his brow a bit in confusion, but shrugged. "Thank you." Legosi said to the hippo. Benji unlocked the main gate, allowing Legosi and Sameer to pass through. 

   There were five cells total, but only three were occupied. The first cell was occupied by a Himalayan black bear, who stared soullessly at them. The third cell contained a honey badger who started bouncing up and down on his bed. He stared at Sameer and reached through the bars. "Come here, snakey snakey. Shake that tail for me!" the badger hissed menacingly. Sameer was feeling very uneasy now. A room of psychos was looking like a bad idea. Legosi seemed a bit more calm and collected. Sameer gulped as they approached the last cell. This was it. 

   As soon as the cell was in full view of the cobra's eyes, he finally saw him. He was a tall gazelle with a spotted cat-like muzzle for a face, a long lanky tail, and sharp cat-like teeth. His prison uniform was a white T-shirt and white pants with lace-less brown shoes. Sameer immediately realized that Melon was a hybrid upon getting a good look at him. Half-gazelle, half-leopard, and full-blooded psychopath. 

   Melon was sitting at the edge of his bed, staring at the two. A gentle, but creepy smile formed across his face. "Well, hello there." Melon said in a soft, raspy voice. 

   "Melon." Legosi nodded with a furrowed brow, gritting his dentures in dread. Melon then looked at Sameer with fascination. "Who's your friend?" he asked. Sameer was deep down unnerved, but he smiled and nodded. "My name is Sameer the Egytian cobra. It's a pleasure to meet your acquaintance, Melon." Sameer greeted. Melon tilted his head.

   "Tell me, Sameer. How does it feel to be a reptile? Is it cold and rough like the Gobi or hot and arid like the Sahara? Just curious." Melon asked in a child-like manner. Sameer knew the leopard-gazelle was trying to get under his skin and play mind games with him. He wasn't intimidated however. He stared Melon down with a piercing, but subtle glare. "Only as cold as this room I'm in right now, Melon. But you already knew that, yes? My body temp plunges upon entering a cold environment." Sameer responded confidently.

   Melon froze completely for a few seconds, not even blinking his eyes. Sameer wasn't fooled. He knew Melon was about to do something as a part of this game. Without warning Melon lunged off his bed towards Sameer, opening his mouth wide and baring his fangs. He hissed almost exactly like a leopard, as it was half his genealogy. Legosi jumped back a bit in fright while the cobra stood firmly still, not even blinking. It didn't phase him a bit. Melon smirked in delight, impressed by Sameer's willpower. "And I assume you're aware that a snake's body temperature rises when he's in a warm room, when he's afraid, or when he's sexually aroused?" Melon taunted, hissing the "s" on 'aroused'. "I've seen horror films with better jumpscares than you, sir." Sameer taunted back, flickering his tongue.