30. First Date Calamities.

***Saira's POV.***

"The puri are good and soft." Pa says.

"And not for you." I say, taking the puris away from him.

"Why?" He asks or more like whines.

"Because they are not healthy for you. That's why I made rotis for you and other elders." I say and serve him that.

"Then why not your father-in-law?" He asks suspiciously.

"Because he is very healthy." I say.

"Not fair. I have a daughter who is a doctor and I am not healthy." He says.

"Yes, such a shame." Parth snickers and I pinch his arm and glare at him.

"One puri won't do anything." Mom says and serves him so.

"No, Kavya Ji. One puri is all it takes for him to gain weight back. I am telling you, Parthiv, do not put on weight again." Ma says in warning and Pa nods along.

Lunch looks to be amazing with everyone around. I glance at Saina, who is picking at her food and listening to Ramya's chatter. She is keeping her distance from me. So Parth made sure to keep a space near Saina empty for me. After every dish at the table, I sit down between Saina and Parth and smile when she looks at me.

"Hi." She says, nervously.

"Hi. So, I made your favorite. Did you try it?" I ask, and she looks confused.

I roll my eyes and ask Parth to pass me the dish. He refuses to leave the bowl and tries the hog as much as possible until I pinch him again.

"That's for my sister." I say.

"But I am your husband." He says with a smile and takes a bite.

"Not the same." I say and serve Saina some chili paneer.

"Do you really think this is still my favorite?" She asks with a hint of a smile.

"Why would it not be? Remember when we were little and Ma would make this quick dish for the guests and when they wouldn't eat much, we would sneak in the whole kadai to eat?" I say.

"Yes. And then we would put it in their room so Ma would think Pa ate it." She says and laughs and I feel some of the tension leave between us.

"Yes. And then when Ma actually joined the dots and realized it was us. We had to sneak in the recipe." I say.

"The first time was so horrible." She says.

"We almost had food poisoning." I say.

"And then Ma has to teach us cooking so we don't starve or kill ourself with our own food." She says, and we burst out laughing.

"I also made some spring rolls." I say and turn to ask Parth, but then change my mind and ask Arya to pass the another bowl.

We talk for a while as we eat and it feels nice. It was the right choice to arrange for a full family lunch. But by the late afternoon, Parth rushed towards me with a frowning look.

"What happened?" I ask.

"We have to go." He says.

"Why?" I ask.

"We need to rush to our date." He says and takes my hand.

"But why?" I ask again as I follow him.

"The thing is, I reserved a table at a private theater for us to enjoy a magic show that you wanted to see for a while." He says.