Chapter 33: A pause. (Part 3)

Start from the beginning

"Estile do you think it's Philius?" Riften asked as they jumped from the catwalk and into the centre of the training field.

"Probably," he frowned. "This might his way of keeping us in check. Even if they're just shards those fragments have enough power to create monsters."

"So, do you have a plan?"

"Give it something to hunt," Kyle released his mana causing the air around him to whip into a fury of wind. His hair began to glow as he declared his location to whatever their enemy was.

Riften smiled and melted away into the shadows. When whatever came, it was going to face the brunt of both their might.

A single minute passed as they felt the powerful energy streak towards them without care. From what they could sense it was pushing through the compound at break neck speeds and easily ignored any of the defences that were put in its way. Then all too soon it sprang out from the catwalk above and straight towards them. Kyle raised his sword high, intent to end it in one strike but as the humanoid shape rapidly approached he froze.

"Arv-," Kyle couldn't finish as Riften launched from his hiding place. Daggers drawn he was going straight for the blind spot and as Kyle had intended only moments ago, was keen to end the fight in an instant. The result however surprised the black haired man as the figure he attacked not only dodged but also counter attacked with a powerful kick. Riften took the heavy blow and smashing to the ground bounced several times. The figure changed target to Riften and moved to finish him off.

"Arvel wait!" Kyle yelled causing both the men to halt.

"Arvel?" Riften who was back on his feet stared in disbelief.

"Riften?" Arvel as well stared back even more shocked. "What the hell is going on here?"

"You just attacked us that's what," Riften dusted himself off.

Though very much still trying to process the situation, he prioritised Kyle who had lowered his sword, "Estile you're safe right?"

"For now yes," Kyle replied.

The flaxen haired man collapsed to his knees, "Thank god for that. I thought I lost you again."

Riften stared at his old friend and laughed, "Despite the fact that you barged in without any regard and just belted me to the floor I get you."

"Sorry about that," Arvel looked at him. "I felt a sudden lurch in my heart so I rushed here as soon as I could. I thought you were trying to kill her."

"Like I could even if I tried," Riften rolled his eyes and offered his hand.

Arvel took it and was pulled closer. The two faced each other for a moment in silence before clasping each other in a powerful hug.

"God you've changed," Riften messed his hair. "You look so old I barely recognise you."

"And you look the same as usual you sly bastard!" Arvel did the same back. "Where have you been all this time?"

"Lost for the most part," he laughed as they separated. "It's good to see you."

"And I you," he was moved to tears. "First Estile and now you as well. It feels like I'm in a dream."

"Yeah I heard what you've been through. You really did your best."

Arvel nodded, "I tried...."