I couldn't see his reaction but I could swear he was grinning. I sighed, opening the door and dragging him along.

"Never do that again," I fumed as I turned on the lights but Ashton just smirked. "I watch way too much true crime for that."

"I tried calling," he said, taking a seat on the couch. I sighed, dropping my bag and going to the kitchen to start up the coffee machine for another night of assignments. Again, thanks a lot Horace.

"I was at work," I explained.

"You would have left a text, something's wrong... You didn't even come see me at the hospital."

I shrugged. "Well, I couldn't be sure your dad wasn't there," I said with a hint of sarcasm.

"So that's what this's about?" he sighed. He got up and made his way to the kitchen, an heir's breath away from me. "I'm sorry about my dad."

"It's fine Ashton, I just... I just need to get used to this... to us not being us" I folded my hands, turning to him but my eyes locked to the floor.

He cupped my chine, lifting my gaze to his until our eyes met, frozen for an instant. I could see the softness in his gaze.

"I understand, take all the time you need, I love you Maddie," he said. "But I also need time, and I promise, I'll make all this right."

I sighed, turning to the brewing coffee whose aroma had already began to fill the room. I turned back to him, pink lips sealed in a straight line.

"I really want to kiss you right now."

Even before I could process my statement, his lips had already met mine, a gentle brush at first before it quickly deepened. I kissed back as his arms wrapped around my waist, lifting me and placing me on the counter so I was up to his height.

My hands trailed down his strong jaw, caressing his cheeks, sliding down to his Adam apple. I pressed closer against him.

Ashton winced, moving backward and breaking the kiss.

"Ashton, are you okay?"

He remained silent for a while before he turned to me, a small smile on his lips. "All good."

"No, you're not good." I hopped down the counter, examining him. Underneath his flannel and crew neck, a dark bruise peeked out. I grabbed him, taking him to the couch.

"Seriously Maddie, I'm fi-"

I took off his shirts, exposing a huge dark purple bruise on his chest. "Okay? Does this look okay?"

"It's just a bruise Maddie, it'll heal. The doctor says it isn't going to interfere with my matches if I let it heal."

"Ashton, you don't have to fight."

"Yes I do." He held my hand, gently squeezing.

I let my hand run gently down the bruise, to his stiff abs which tensed up once I touched them. I could feel goosebumps on his skin and mine. We were an inch away from each other, a sudden current flowing through both of us.

"I like that," he said in a breathy sentence, gesturing at my hand placed at his lower abs.

"I should probably go get some coffee, I have a lot of assignments." I went back to the kitchen, pouring out a cup of hot coffee. "Shouldn't you be going back by now? Your dad co-"

"I don't care..."

I sighed. "I think we should take this a little more seriously Ashton. The last time, your dad threatened me with my scholarship."

"I'm so sorry about that, I talked to him once I found, it won't happen again... I hope." He made his way to me, taking the cup of coffee off my hand and placing it on the counter. "Let's not talk about that right now, I just want to stay right here, with my girlfriend, I don't care if the whole world's on fire... just for once, I want to be selfish Maddie."

Maybe the while world wasn't on fire, but I definitely was

My cheeks were a bright red, I let my hair fall to my shoulders just to hide them. "Well, I'm sorry to burst your bubble Ashton Malik, but I have a ton of assignment and even your devilish charms can't distract me."

He smirked. "I'd beg to differ."

I raised a brow. "Is that a bet? Trust me, you'll lose..."

He won.

•••

And that's another chapter done, we still have a long way to go so hope you guys have your Oreos at hand cause this should be a long ride, and with me as the driver, it's probably also gonna be bumpy.

I feel like I don't say this a lot so I'll put it here, THANK YOU! Thank you so much o everyone who has enjoyed my story, I love writing this and I'm so grateful cause you guys keep me going, you guys make me fall in love with these characters all over when I read a comment, you all patiently waited weeks after weeks, months just to read this and I truly hope you haven't been disappointed.

If you think you could spare a vote, I'd be ecstatic. If not, the fact you've read this book is all the encouragement, love and support I need.

Don't forget to stay healthy (with Oreos of course)
-Thea