4| Engaged with no memory

Having the time to glare at him while worried for Mister Mayweather, I picked up the box and remove the ring. Slipping it on my finger, I was in disbelief when it fits me perfectly.

Pulled out of my thoughts by the nurses and doctor who came in, we where asked to step outside.

The lawyer went to make a phone call while I sat outside the door on the chair. Looking down at my finger with a simple yet elegant and expensive diamond ring. As the light from the ceiling reflexes on it, it glistens and almost blinded me. The heart shaped diamond in the middle was biggest, the middle area had medium shapes and at the end, the diamonds were smaller. All fifteen pieces in all. The strangest thing of all was my name on the inside. Once again I stared cringing, which the lawyer saw and started laughing.

"If you were a lawyer, you wouldn't make it in court with a face like that."

"I wouldn't want to, putting someone in a situation like this isn't the best idea, Mister Dawn. It seems you've fail to remember that this man had lost his memory and I... We don't want him getting attached after he's well and don't want to leave me. I don't do relationships sir and I don't like this idea of having an husband." I spoke truthfully, looking up from the ring to his face.

"I understand but it's better that way, you don't want a husband so you won't catch feelings."

"It seems you don't understand clearly as to what I'm saying Mister Dawn." I almost hissed. "I don't do relationships because I don't want anyone getting attached. If he does, or better yet if we do, then I don't care if I leave him heartbroken. I've warned you so don't hold me accountable when things goes south. I won't be meeting any family either, to save his ass or yours. I've read too many books and watch too many movies and knows how foolishness like theses are played out."

All the lawyer did was watch me with fascination then spoke. "You'll be greatly rewarded when Mister Mayweather is back to good health..."

"I do have a life too Mister Dawn, most times I won't be here so be thankful when I am, because all I want is that man to get better so I can continue with my life just where I left off."

"Okay. We'll talk soon but I have to get to work." He spoke just as the doctor and nurses exits the door.

"Mister Dawn and Mrs. Mayweather, Mister Mayweather has improved as to why he had a small panic attack. His memory will be back as we hoped and I've also went along to remove the feeding tube. Now he will be able to drink soups and so forth, nothing solid..." I stood attentive, listening to the doctor speak and he turned to leave but asked me a question that I was confused about.

"Do you cook Mrs. Mayweather?" He asked.

"I do." I answered.

"You do look familiar as I'm sure I've seen you at a diner by the university." A grin spreads along my face. "You make killer smoothies, I'm sure your husband would love a few sometimes."

"Could you maybe write a list of things he can eat, I could bring in things sometimes if that's okay, something he won't be allergic to?"

"Definitely chef. I'll get it for you right away." He nods and left while the chucking lawyer stood there amused.

"Not a wife by law or by religion but knows how to be a real wife by pretend." Came his snarky respond.

"I'm just stupidly caring and friendly, don't take me for granted though." I walked back into the room but the lawyer only pushed his head inside and announced that he was going back to work.

Laying there, I was surprised when the mummified man hummed in response but his eyes were on me. The lawyer only closed the door so I got seated next to him and touched his outstretched hand.