Chapter 23: Harbinger of Hope

This entire chapter is a flashback to the previous multiversal war from the previous timeline before it was rewritten by Wanda. The first multiversal war that he who remains talked about in the Loki Season 1 Finale. This chapter reveals the full truth about what really happened.

-Flashback begins:

Long ago in the original timeline 

In this original timeline, the X-Men and the Fantastic Four along with many others, was there from the start. They helped the Avengers fight Loki in 2012, they fought Ultron together in 2015, they all fought in a giant Civil War in 2016 and they all fought and won against Thanos in 2018. In between those events, The Avengers helped the X-Men in defeating many threats such as Apocalypse as well as helping the Fantastic Four finally defeat Doctor Doom. This was how things originally panned out. How everything was supposed to be.

As the multiversal war drew to a close, the fate of all existence hung in the balance. Countless universes had been obliterated, leaving only one left standing - universe-199999. The conflict between various versions of Kang and their armies had unleashed chaos upon the multiverse, creating incursions that threatened to wipe out all life. Earth had become a battleground, and amidst the carnage, a last-ditch struggle for supremacy had erupted among the Kangs, each vying to be the last one standing.

Amid the ruins of their own universes, survivors of the conflict had banded together, ranging from X-Men to the Avengers, from the Fantastic Four to the Eternals, among others. Together, they sought to end the war and preserve what little remained of the multiverse.

Despite their best efforts, the heroes were losing. The prospect of ending the conflict seemed increasingly remote. The Living Tribunal, a cosmic entity tasked with maintaining balance in the universe, realized that if the war continued, it would spell the end of all existence. To prevent this, the Living Tribunal summoned the Celestials, an ancient and powerful race, to devise a plan to preserve life in the multiverse.

The Celestials had not directly intervened in the war, for it was not their role to do so. Instead, they had worked behind the scenes to manipulate events, striving to bring about an end to the conflict. Now, they were tasked with finding a solution to avert the looming catastrophe.

Wanda, one of the heroes fighting alongside the survivors, possessed immense power, even before she became the Scarlet Witch. She was a mutant, born of Magneto, and she fought alongside her fellow heroes with all her might.

In this timeline, Wanda had lived a happy life, surrounded by friends, family, and love. Her brother was alive, and she was married to Vision, with whom she had twin sons. She was not looked upon as a monster. She was not resented by the often judging eyes of the world, but seen as one of the greatest heroes on the planet, with an indomitable spirit and an unshakeable commitment to doing what was right. Her circumstances just
amplified the virtues that lay deep within her soul, making her a beacon of hope to all those in need.

But even with Wanda's formidable abilities, the heroes were losing the war. The Kangs had the upper hand, and it seemed as though all hope was lost. Only one Kang remained on the side of the heroes - he who remains.

The Living Tribunal and the Celestials knew that time was running out. They had to find a way to save the multiverse, and quickly. All of the nexus beings had already perished in this war, so they formed a plan. They searched for a worthy vessel - someone who could carry all the Nexus entities at once, a reality warper with the strength of will to resist the immense power of eleven Nexus entities combined. They needed someone who was good-hearted, selfless, and willing to sacrifice everything to save others.