Chapter 13

If you walked into the gym right with your eyes closed it would sound and feel like there are multiple giants just stomping through the court. It actually felt like the floor was about to break at some points.

The boys' varsity basketball team was practicing for their first game after the break. It is Restwood High versus East Restwood High School. So High School Musical.

"Come on boys! I don't want a bunch of wannabes at the game tomorrow!" Coach yelled down their necks. He was waking them up by clapping loudly in their ears and jogging around them as encouragement. The guys were doing their passing drills and you could see the fear in their eyes as they passed the ball to their partner. I don't know if it was about the game or about what Coach would say if they dropped the ball.

"Avery, pick up the pace! Oluwaseun, fix the form! Come on boys! The game is tomorrow!"

There was a bit of confusion as they took in Coach's words, but the flow resumed with the corrections.

"I bet you five bucks that someone drops it in the next minute." Joshua said. He was stretched across one of the bleachers, not interested in the practice. I was trying to do some work while Dani was on her phone. The only reason we were stuck here was because Greyson was our ride.

I looked up from my papers and looked at the clock. "It is 4:23."

"Alright," Dani said, joining the group.

Everyone sat up on the bleachers and watched the guys with more interest. Each dribble intensified now as we put all the marbles on it. There were many close calls, but no one actually slipped. Coach was still walking around, correcting the guys on this or that. There was still the fear in them, but they were doing everything to a T.

Ten... Nine... Eight...

The guys were passing the ball to their partner perfectly.

Seven... Six... Five...

I could smell the cash coming our way.

Four... Three... Two...

"GREYSON!"

Coach, who was on one side of the court, yelled this to Greyson, who was on the other side of the court. Greyson, who heard his name being bellowed, lost all his focus from the drill and redirected it towards Coach. The guy who was his partner, who didn't realize that Greyson wasn't paying attention, threw the ball towards Greyson. It missed his outstretched hands, hit his chest, and fell to the floor with a dramatic blow.

"Yes, sir?"

Coach looked at the fallen ball with amused shock and said, "I guess that will be 50 sprints Captain."

"Wait- What?" he said in confusion.

His eyes flew all over the court, from the ceiling to the base of the hoop. Finally, they fell to his feet where the ball sat patiently. The realization slowly dawned. His smile was slowly turning into that smile that looked happy but really is disappointed. His head hung so sadly. He rubbed his face as he still looked at the ball.

Joshua, on the other hand, could not be happier at Greyson's downfall. The wicked grin had infested his face. He held a hand out towards me and Dani, waiting for the weight of greed to fill it.

"I will take my winnings, ladies," he said.

Dani and I shared our disappointment with Greyson. Well, Dani more than me. When two crisp five-dollar bills slithered into Joshua's hands Dani yelled "Great job, Greyson!" in her first and fluent language, sarcasm. 

Greyson turned around and found Dani among the thin crowd on the bleachers. His confusion plunged deeper into the rabbit hole.

"For what?" he asked defensively.