Chapter 6

We all get in Greyson's car with Greyson and I in the front and Dad sandwiched between Dani and Joshua. He blasted Frank Sinatra's 'Let It Snow' and got on the road. With the beautiful, cold weather, the coffee aroma filling the car, and the classic, old timey music, it was a pleasurable car ride. The frost on the side of the road was making me wish we had snow to play with and the decoration all around made me so fuzzy and warm on the inside. I looked out at the city and was in awe.

We got to the hospital around 10 minutes later. Dad, however, was not ready for work. He fell asleep on Joshua's shoulder, drooling again. We made a complete stop, but he was still out of it. Joshua was giving a questioning look. I just looked at him. He started to shake Dad's shoulder but an idea that was too good to miss came to my head; I shook my head no and pointed a finger towards myself, telling him I would do it. I wanted this last piece of bittersweet victory.

"DAD!"

He got up abruptly, looking so confused and lost. He gave me a "What?!" look. I pointed out of the window and said, "We are here." He looked outside and saw his workplace.

"Right," he rubbed his hand over his face and got some saliva on his hand. He wiped it on his pants and sighed. He got out of the car and started to walk towards the door. Dani was tapping my shoulder though. I looked back and nodded to her silent request. She handed it to me.

"Dad!"

"What?" he asked, a bit irritated.

I held his bag out of the window. He looked to his side then back at me to see his missing accessory. He looked annoyed and started to trek back to the car. The smile that was fighting to come out finally did, spreading from ear to ear. Dad saw my face and it transferred to him too. I stuck my head and dangled my arms out of the window to talk to him.

"Sorry if I was a pain in the butt," I said, looking up at him.

"I kind of deserved it," he said, grabbing his stuff.

"Be home early."

"Yes ma'am."

"Love you."

"And you," he pinched my rosy cheeks. "Bossy."

"Go or you will be late."

"Yeah. Bye."

"Bye."

Greyson waited until he was inside then left. He switched the music to a much more modern taste. It was an early morning rave contained in a car. We were singing randomly and acting like dum dums. Traffic continued to make us look like idiots as we were sitting at red lights, laughing and dancing in our seats. 

We actually got to school 5 minutes late because of a wrong left turn. Greyson had to take the back way and basically had to drive around the school to the seniors parking. He found his spot, parked, and got out of the car. We were having a friendly bicker as a way to show our hatred for tardiness. But it's like the famous movie said, "Tardiness is not something you can do all on your own." If you know, you know. 

"You ruined my perfect attendance streak!"

"You literally did not come to school last week."

"Always blame the cute one."

"You know we are blaming Greyson, not you Daisy."

We all walked inside, laughing maniacally. We tried to subdue our laughter as we signed in, but we failed with a F minus, making it look suspicious. I promise we do not do drugs. Well, I can promise you I don't do drugs. 

We walk past the main office and are just wandering the hallways right now. The library doesn't open until 9:30 so the waiting game is imminent. As we were taking a lovely stroll down the East Hallway, Greyson and Joshua were making plans to see the new Spiderman movie, I saw a new sign added to the senior's notice board.