34. The Night Continues

Start from the beginning

Before the officer could say anything more to Arrow, the bith dogs break free from their handler with a chorus of loud barks. Barreling full force at her, the bigger of the two dogs takes the lead, bounding through the small opening of the door - knocking an unprepared Arrow back a couple steps. The two animals run into her home, barking and growling.

The scene plays out as if in slow motion before Arrow. The officer who'd let the dogs get away from him runs into her home after it, faster than she could object. She watches helplessly as the police dogs runs over to the couch, barking wildly.

"Shit," Arrow says softly, knowing that there was no coming back from this. She places her hands in the air, above her head moments before the shouting begins. She finds herself being forced to the ground, the dogs' incessant barking and the shouting of the officers surrounding her.

Her heart was beating almost painfully in her chest, her eyes stinging with the need to release her tears.

~

Jensen Carter

Jensen stood to the side, leaning against the hospital's white walls. To his side, Dalton stood with his hands in the pockets of his jacket. They both eyed the detective, Dean, as he talked to his captain. Back up had arrived five minutes after the entire ordeal - running into the room shouting and ready to shoot.

The detective had a lot of explaining to do. Three bodies and four people who had no business being in that room with the two of them during the attack.
Jensen eased-dropped in on Dean's conversation with the captain from time to time, but his mind was more focused on Naomi. Off in another room, she and Avery were being checked out by a doctor.

He didn't know what to make of the situation, feeling slightly anxious about it. Naomi knew about Lycans, which was a surprise to him, and though she seemed weary , Jensen didn't sense any fear from her.
Knowing about Lycans is one thing, but he needed to know where she stood on him being one.
Jensen let out a sigh. He needed to get the full story from her.

"I can practically hear your thoughts running a million miles per minute over there," Dalton comments, giving him a nudge.

"That's an understatemen," Jensen jokes softly in response. "What a night!"

"Where's your head at man? Naomi and her friend being hunters?...More specifically, Naomi? I'm guessing," Dalton asks.

"She said she wasn't," Jensen replies, turning to look at his friend.

"Come on, man. Only a hunter would dear stand up against Lycans like she and the friend did. And on the night of a full moon, too? She's either a hunter or just plain crazy!" Dalton argues. Jensen goes silent, not having a rebuttal to his friend's statement.
Dalton had a point. They were outnumbered and unarmed yet willing stayed to fight against three Lycans on a mission. But although the situation didn't add up logically and he couldn't argue the points , he believed Naomi.

Hearing footsteps approaching, Jensen looks up to see Dean hobbling over to them with his crutches, his captain walking alongside him.

Stopping in front of them, the captain holds out his hand to Jensen, "Thank you, gentlemen," He begins, addressing both of them as Jensen shakes his hand firmly. "If you two had not stepped in when you did, I would have lost my two best detectives. And those brave young ladies as well." Shaking Dalton's hand, he takes a step back, giving them a nod before walking off.

"He's a hunter if you guys were wondering," Dean begins softly. "That's the most gratitude you're going to get out of him. The details around this whole thing are sensitive. Parts of it can't go on record. We won't be needing your statements or anything like that. The captain will take care of it. I wanted to thank you guys also. Even if you just came for the girls, you still saved my ass. So, thank you."

"No problem, detective," Dalton pipes up.

"You're not a hunter, but your captain is?" Jensen asks with a raised brow.

"Yeah. A good bit of people on the TCPD are hunters. I...uh, I'm friends with a hunter. It's how I know about everything. And, not all our cases are black and white, so...," Dean answers, trailing off at the end.

"Naomi and Avery?" Jensen asks, leaving his question open for interpretation - Wanting to see what the detective had to say about them.

"Hm, I've probably only met them once in passing before today," Dean begins with a little chuckle. "I guess I'm responsible for them being involved in this whole mess. They're  Calvin's friends. Naomi had been trying to get in touch with him, so I called to let them know he was in the hospital. In doing that... I found out that they'd been... they thought I was a hunter. I thought they were Lycans from the conversations I read. Calvin had been acting strange and... he confided in them, I guess? I don't know. We didn't get a chance to talk much before everything went down. Avery said I could place them in the hunter category if I must, but I'm pretty sure she just said that to appease me. They weren't exactly trusting of me. Im pretty sure they'd thought i would murder Calvin if he were a Lycan."

"Mr. Straken," A nurse calls out from behind him.

"The doctors have to take a look at me now. Thanks again, fellas, for the save." He says before heading to the nurse.

"Here they come," Dalton says  spotting Naomi and Avery speeding around a corner. He watches them search the room before spotting him and Dalton, breaking out into a little run toward them. Naomi had her hand to her throat, the bruising there still very much visible. She also had a small paper bag in her hand, presumably something the doctor prescribed.

"I'm sorry, I'm really sorry," Avery begins, "We hate to do this, but we have to leave. Right now!"

Jensen glances to Naomi, a guilty look across her face. She opens her mouth to speak, but Avery cuts in to explain. "Doctor's orders, she can't speak for a while because of her throat. Look, we I know we need to talk...all of us and the you two, one on one, but we have to leave. Right this minute! We need to get to Kindrel before a situation becomes situation! Naomi will call you, I promise," Avery rushes out.

"What situation? Anything you two need help with?" Jensen asks, noticing how anxious the two were.

"No, it's alright, we could handle it," Avery answers, Dalton letting out a sound of suspicion at her answer.

Turning to Naomi, Jensen takes a step closer to her, pleased when she didn't back away or cower -Instead raising her head slightly to look at him directly. "If something goes wrong and you need help. Don't hesitate to call me," He says to her softly.

~

"That's more than enough excitement for me in one night," Dalton comments as they pull up to Jensen's home. A small two story house located on the edge of a quiet neighborhood. Two bedrooms, two and a half baths with a decent sized backyard, Jensen had acquired the home for way less that it was worth. The real-estate broker's way of  expressing his gratitude.

Pulling into the driveway, Dalton goes to speak again but stops when he sees the silhouette of someone sitting at the doorstep.

"Jens," He says tensely.

"Yeah, I see them," Jesnen answers lowly, his body tense as well. Turning off the car, the two step out cautiously. Jensen takes a whiff of the air, the scent of the person familiar but foreign at the same time.

"Hello, Jensen."

"Jackson," Jensen growls out angrily.