26. Can't Seem To Get A Break

NAOMI REID

Avery and Naomi cheer loudly with the rest of their crew as they watch Kai and Parker wrestle with each other.

"Come on Parker!" Naomi shouts out while clapping as she and Avery step back as the boys roll closer toward them.

"ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT! SETTLE DOWN, SETTLE DOWN!" Their chief calls out as he enters the room with a clipboard.  Everyone breaks away, taking their seats. Kai and Parker get off each other and stand to the side of the room, giving the chief their full attention.

"Okay, business for the week!" The chief announces before beginning to read off his lists. Interrupting him, the overhead speaker blares, "Ambulance 31. Woman in labor. 30 East Jearson."

"Aw, hell!" Naomi groans out as she and Avery jump up from their seats.

"East Jearson? Isn't that your bio mom's address?" Avery says as they hop into the ambulance.

"Yup," Naomi answers with a sigh as she drives out of the firehouse.

~

Walking through the door, Avery takes the lead - An unspoken agreement between the two. As Avery gets to work on checking Mellissa, Naomi stands off to the side. She could feel the weight of stares on her. Both from Mellissa and her husband.

She avoids eye contact with both of them, focusing on Avery and her assessments. 

"You know, we got off on the wrong foot. I don't even believe I've properly introduced myself to you," Melissa's husband says walking up to Naomi. "Eugene," He says holding his hand out to her.

Naomi gives him a quick glare before returning her gaze to Avery. "You're not in labor ma'am. Everything seems fine," Avery says as she stands up.  Naomi resisted the urge to roll her eyes. From the moment they walked into the room Naomi knew there was nothing medically wrong with the woman or her baby.

"Oh, thank goodness," Eugene says theatrically.

"Well, that's a relief. Can't be too careful... you know. Being pregnant at this age," Mellissa begins as Avery packs up her equipment. "When I had Trish- Naomi, I was much younger and-"

"We're done here, got everything Av?" Naomi says loudly to her friend cutting off Mellissa with a clap of her hand.

"Yeah, all set," Avery replies. The two of them leave after Avery informs Mellissa of the signs to look out for and when to go see her doctor. They exit the home, Naomi practically speed-walking to the ambulance.

~

No sooner had they arrived back at the firehouse did a police car pull up outside the building.
Naomi and Avery found themselves being called into the chief's office, two officers standing at his side.

"Ladies, take a seat," Their chief says to them.

"What's this about chief?" Naomi asks as they take a seat.

"There's been a report filed against you two. More specifically, Naomi. Seems a Mrs. Evans-Joseph is claiming you stole her ten thousand dollar ring off her counter while you were on call at her home."

~

YARA ROSEWOOD

Taking in a deep breath, Yara closes her eyes, enjoying the feeling of the sun's warm rays on her skin. The air was fresh and crisp, the leaves rustling with each gust of wind. Her hands idly played with the grass beneath her as birds soared above - Chirping loudly.

She needed this. It was moments like these she was glad they had a cabin in Clearmeadow's forests. Away from all the chaos of the city, closer to nature.