8. Fine, I'll Do It Myself

Start from the beginning

"Split up!" Kendrick shouts to her as they run.

"What!" Arrow says back to him.

"Split up and run through the corn! Stay off the pathways!" He shouts back. Without waiting for her to reply, he branches off to the right – Through the corn. "Shit!" Arrow hisses, doing the same. She runs through the tall stalks of corn, crossing her arms ahead of her face. Corn stalks hit her as she runs through them, rustling loudly as she moves. As she runs through the corn, Arrow briefly wonders what was going to become of her. There was no way she could survive against three or more Lycans on a full moon in a cornfield with no weapons. The odds were against her, and she had no idea if help was on its way.

A scream sounds in the night – They'd found Kendrick.

As she runs blindly through the field, she trips against something on the ground. Looking down, she spots what looks to be an old hand sickle scythe. It was an old, rusty tool with a wide curved blade and broken wooden handle. Without hesitation, she picks it up - It was better than nothing. Hearing heavy footfalls not too far from her, she resumes running, devising a plan as she did. As she runs, she comes across a relatively clear spot of land, a scarecrow at its center. This was perfect. The moon provided her with enough light for her to utilize the spot as her vantage point. Crouching down in the corn surrounding the spot, she waits for her chance, hoping her plan would work to some degree. She waits, breathing soft and slowly, her body still as can be.

She hears the rustle of corn stalks, watching as a large wolf enters the area sniffing the corn looking for her. She stares at the creature in disgust. It was one of the more scrawnier, looking Lycan she'd seen. Its fur was a dusty black shade, its yellow eyes not particularly bright. Its legs weren't as muscular and powerful looking as she'd known them to be. This one isn't a very strong wolf.

She waits for the right moment – Until he was practically in front of her before she dives out of the corn. Using both hands, she shoves the blade of the rusty tool into its eyes. She uses her body weight to force it as deep as possible.

The Lycan howls in pain, shaking its head wildly. Arrow turns and runs into the corn again. She had to get away from the area as soon as possible. As she runs, she hears the sound of gunshots echoing through the night. Help had arrived!
With a renewed sense of hope, she pushes herself to run faster, heading toward the shooting. Unexpectedly, she finds herself being slammed to the ground, a huge weight against her – A sharp pain radiates from her arm, and a burning feeling traveled up her back.

A Lycan was on top of her, baring its teeth in her face.

"So close!" Arrow thinks as the Lycans snaps its jaws at her tauntingly. She did not doubt in her mind that this was Wendell.

Raising his head, the Lycan lets out a victorious howl into the night. Arrow closes her eyes, not wanting to see what happens next. Her mind flashes to her brother and her father. Memories play in her mind as she remembers the better times they had. She felt the Lycan shift above her, preparing for his attack. Her eye automatically squeezes as she waits for the bite. However, instead of sharp teeth ripping through her skin, a loud shot rings through the night.

The Lycan drops on top of her, its weight crushing her chest.

She struggled underneath it, noticing it was unmoving.

Arrow hears a human grunt as the wolf is pushed off of her. She gasps, finally able to breathe better. Looking up, through hazy eyes, she sees a man staring down at her, a sniper rifle in his hand. "Let's get you out of here, Berlin," He says to her softly. Arrow feels the adrenaline leaving her body as she lays there. Slipping the gun across his shoulder, he bends down, gently scooping her into his arms. Carrying her bridal style he walks through the pathways of the cornfield as quick as he could without jostling her too much - An exhausted Arrow laying her head against his shoulder. He leads them out of the cornfield with ease, sitting her gently on his bike. As he does this, the headlights of at least six different vans speed up the hill, pulling up to them.

He watches intently, ready to pull out his gun, relaxing slightly when he sees Elmann Berlin, Arrow's uncle. "Don't worry. There are still more wolves out there, and more will be coming. I didn't do all your dirty work for you," He says to a furious-looking Elmann as he takes the duffle bag off, tossing it to the floor. "What are you doing here, Valentin?" Elmann asks angrily. Unhooking his grenade belt as well, he throws it onto the floor. "Your job?" He answers sarcastically, sending Elmann a smirk.

With that, he hops on his bike, Arrow instinctively wrapping her arms around his torso, resting her head against his back. He starts his motorbike - Driving slowly past the vehicles before speeding up.

He could hear the sounds of growls and gunshots echo from the hill as he speeds away into the night.