Damage is Done

I look quick enough to see Sage staring up at me. Alec staring as well.

I watch Alec's lifeless eyes close.

I take a deep breath. I look to my left to find Natalia.

I continue to cry as she walks over and hugs me.

"It's okay. You're okay now. We will all be okay."

She murmurs to me over and over and over.

***

I don't move away from Natalia. Not until every last person in the ball leaves. Not until Alec's dead body is moved away and out of sight.

I don't move until I see Sage. And although I may not remember why I love him. How I began to love him. When I started loving him. I do remember that I love him.

I feel safe with him.

I give Natalia one last squeeze. I stand up and rush into Sages arms.

Neither one of us say anything. We just hold each other. I'm not sure for how long.

***

Sage has everyone meet in his office. Emerson sits in my lap. Not letting go of me. He's gotten so much bigger.

"Okay," Sage begins, "A lot has happened in the last year."

I look up from Emerson quickly, "Year?"

Sage turns to me, "Yeah. You were gone for a year."

I take a deep breath, "I thought it was barely four months."

My voice catches. Emerson notices. No wonder he got so big. He's a whole year older.

Sage looks away and continues, "We need to get back on track now."

I zone out. I focus on Emerson.

At the end of the meeting I head to Natalia's room.

"Will I ever remember?" I ask her.

"Yeah. You will. As you walk around the house and talk with Sage and Marcus and Carmelo. You will slowly remember. But you already remember. You just need to know what's real and what's fake. So look around you and go with your gut."

I give her a small smile and hug and leave. I head to Sage and I's room.

I change my clothes out of the disgusting Russian uniform and into one of Sages shirts. I sleep in just a shirt and underwear. I wait for a while. I wait for Sage to come into the room but he doesn't.

I get up after an hour and go to find him. I check the office and kitchen and every room I can think to look in.

I eventually find him on a chair in Emerson's room.

He sits there with his head leaning against his hand. His even breathing tells me he is asleep. I quietly walk over and place a kiss on his forehead.

This wakes him up. He looks at me lazily before grabbing my hand and pulling me onto his lap.

"I missed you, Baylor. More than you know," he whispers in my ear.

"I missed you more, Sage."

My legs sway over the armrest. My back leans against the other armrest. Sages arms wrap around my waist.

"What are you doing in here?" I ask him.

"I wasn't sure if you'd want to share a bed with me," he answers honestly.

"Come on, Sage," I look at him thoughtfully, "Let's go to bed."

I kiss his forehead again as he lifts us up and carry's us to our bed.

We lay there tangled in each other's arms. Neither one of us falls asleep. We simply lay there enjoying each other's embrace.