Growing Up

As I walk down the hall for the first time ever I hear boys whistle at me. I am not sure why though. I am not a dog. I KNOW I don't look like one either. I just keep my head down and walk to class.

This is my first year that I am not homeschooled. It's also my senior year. I am currently 17 but my birthday is in five days! I plan on celebrating with my boyfriend of five years. We've been neighbors since we were born, that's how we met. We spend every minute of every hour that he isn't at school together. I went to all the homecoming dances with him. He was my first kiss. My parents love him and so do I. I haven't told him that yet though. I have to wait for the perfect moment.

I haven't seen him at all today. We only have one class together and it is the next class. I walk in and look for him. He is seated in the back. His friends sit to the left and right of him so I sit in the seat in front of him.

I turn to look at him, "Hey," I smile excited to finally see him.

"Hey babe," he smiles, "How's your first day at school been?"

"It's been weird. A lot of guys whistle at me like I am a dog."

"That's catcalling. Just ignore it," he tells me. He looks mad though.

So they whistle at me like a cat? Not like I am a dog? Is there a difference? I turn and face the front of the class where the teacher begins his lesson.

I love my mom. Don't get me wrong. But sometimes I think she is to protective. I have never had any social media. I have only my mom, dads, and boyfriends phone numbers. A couple games but my mom has to approve of them all. She also never allows my boyfriend and I to be alone. We always have to be in public or with them. She is very protective but for the right reasons. I am sure what she is sheltering me from are bad things I don't want to know.

***

Jack, my boyfriend, talks to me less and less everyday. I've noticed he hangs around a couple girls a lot. It doesn't bother me though. We are dating and I know he would never do anything to hurt me.

Jack is like a golden retriever. He has shaggy blonde hair and a big bright smile. He never fails to cheer me up. One time when I got my first period he bought be a bunch of yellow stuff, put it in a yellow box, and said it was a box of sunshine for me.

Tomorrow is my birthday and I want to make plans with him. I look for him in the hall. I spot him with the girls again. I walk over to him.

"Hey J."

"Hey baby," he kissed my cheek and the other girls roll their eyes.

He grabs my hand and we begin to walk down the hall to our next class.

"So, what do you want to do tomorrow?" I ask him.

"Well I have plans with the boys for after school so we may not be able to hangout," he says.

My stomach twists. Oh. Maybe he is going to surprise me and this is his cover up.

***

It's my birthday! My mom surprises me with cake for breakfast! I eat a bunch and then head to school after saying goodbye to my mom and dad.

I wore my favorite skirt and a brand new cute top that is cropped just a little. As I walk down the hall more guys that normal whistle at me. I ignore them like Jack told me too. Cat calling. Do I look like a cat? I don't think I do.

Jack doesn't tell me happy birthday. I think he is just pretending though. He is going to surprise me later. I wonder what he has planned.

My knee bounces all class in anticipation. When I finally leave school I wait. And wait. And wait. But nothing happens. I check my phone multiple times. I walk downstairs and hangout with my family. Eventually, I come to the conclusion he forgot.

I cry in my mothers arms for a long time. She holds
me tight and tells me that he isn't worth it anyway.

"Why don't you go to your class today since you don't have any plans?" My mother suggests, "Maybe that will make you feel better."

I nod my head, wipe my tears, and put on my dancing outfit.

————————

sorry for the boring intro chapter