Royalty

Baylor

"I feel like royalty in here," I say as we walk into a mansion.

I spin as I look up at the ceiling around me.

A couple of his men are already here.

"Love, I want you to come meet someone," Sage takes my hand and pulls me into a side room.

The room has double doors opening up into an office space. One giant desk and lots of bookshelves and a couple cabinets. There are books everywhere and also dust everywhere. As if on que I sneeze.

Sage laughs, "I agree it needs to be dusted."

That's when I notice the other man in the room. I move closer to Sage.

"Baylor, this is Beck. He is my second," Sage tells me.

"Second what?" I recognize him as the man who helped me when I passed out.

"My second in command. You know how the president has a vice president? Kind of like that," he explains to me.

I nod my head in understanding.

"I've laid out the plans on the desk. We can quickly go over them and make any revisions and then begin to work. You two can head to bed afterwards. I'm sure you both need it," Beck looks at us with a sympathetic look. "It's nice to meet you by the way Baylor. Never thought I would see the day Sage falls for someone," he smirks at Sage who shoots him a glare in return.

"Okay so what's our plan? And why do we need a plan? If Sage is King, aren't we untouchable?" I ask trying to understand the situation. There has to be more.

"The King is technically untouchable. But everyone wants to be King. That only happens when the King dies. So-"

"Everyone is going to try to kill you," I cut Sage off.

"Yes. So my first step is set up security. My men are all trained at a high level thanks to Beck. We just need to set them up," Sage keeps explaining.

Beck cuts in, pointing at a blueprint of the Manor and yard, "We had the plan to set up men on the perimeter. A couple snipers in trees. Shifts so no one gets tired. Oh, and buy a base nearby so they don't have to go far."

"Is there a lot of empty yard space?" I ask.

"Yes, is there something you'd like in the yard?" Sage asks me.

"No, but empty yard space is easier to get through. Harder to get through unseen. But if we take the maze from your other home and put it in this yard, no one would be able to get to us from the back. And if we add booby traps," I fight my urge to laugh, "then there's an even better chance no one gets through. It also gives us privacy. I would prefer we don't have men crawling around everywhere."

I look up at Sage and Beck.

"I-If that's okay. I mean it's just an idea," I quickly add.

"That is actually really smart," Beck says, "But what if you guys just didn't move. If you like your current home better, we could occupy the Manor as the base. Everyone would think you live wherever the Kings Manor is, because although 'no one knows' where this place is. I can bet money lots of people know. No one will expect you to not move."

Sage contemplates for a moment.

"What do you think Baylor?" he asks me.

Im shocked by his question. I really love his home. It's beautiful and has an amazing garden and backyard. I haven't really had a chance to explore this house yet.

"Could I look around? Then see which I like better?" I ask Sage.

"Of course, love," he smiles.

***

I look in every room. They are all mostly the same. Abandoned rooms that look as though they haven't been touched in years. Most upstairs bedrooms have a bed and a dresser. Covered is dust and cobwebs. Downstairs there is a dusty dining room, two offices, a living room, family room, extra space, and lots of random hallways. There is one bedroom and bathroom that seem to have been used more recently. I assume the past Mafia King used those.

I have a feeling this place has lots of secret doors and nooks. I walk back into the office Sage and Beck are in.

"Where did you get that blueprint?" I ask Beck.

"We made it."

I begin opening books and drawers and cabinets. I pull out unused journals and blank papers. Them if hits me. This office looked unused.

"Sage, what office did the dead guy use?"

"The one across the hall," he says as they both eye me suspiciously.

I walk across the hall and open the office doors. There is far less dust in here. I open drawers and cabinets but almost everything is empty.

If I were a Mafia King, where would I hide the blueprints to my house?

I pull book after book off of the shelves. I try pushing and pulling the bookshelves. I do the same with the cabinets. I then see an old looking candle on the wall.

Wow. That's... obvious.

I walk over and pull it. Sure enough the photo on the wall slides over slowly. There's a safe with a pin.