Rank

Baylor:

I climbed the ranks again. I am now an underboss. Exactly three positions below being Alec's second. For some reason I feel really close to success. For what success I am unsure.

I have officially completed my training. I of course still train day in and day out. For hours on end. Alec said I must be the most powerful woman in the world. He praises me endlessly. He said he loves women in charge. He said he can't get enough of women with power.

I think he's sexually attracted to women in power. He gets off to their confidence. He loves that they rival his power. He loves knowing that even if they rival his power he is still more powerful.

I know his strengths and weaknesses now. Just like I know every mafia bosses strengths and weaknesses.

I know the entire history of the Russian mafia. Every dirty little secret. I know of at least four rats in the mafia. Two in the compound right now. I do not plan on turning them in. They are causing no issues. They seem to simply be checking on me and reporting back to Sage.

I assume Sage since he wants me. And they look Italian.

It's hasn't even been four months and I am almost at the second highest rank. I plan to keep climbing the ranks until...

Until what? I know I want something. I want to do something. But what is it?

Sage:

It's been nine months without Baylor. Almost a year.

She has climbed the ranks in the Russian Mafia. Soon she will be Alec's second. She was supposed to be my second in command. Not his. She still is mine.

I still think about the way her hand felt on my wrist. The last day I got to see her. She may have been stopping me but I still miss her touch. It felt good.

Baylor:

The next day Alec raises my rank. The day after that it's raised again. Alec tells me to prove myself worthy of being second in command I have to complete a task.

I have already gone through the ceremony of being inducted as the second. Now Alec just wants an excuse for me to complete a mission.

Now I sit on a balcony high above everyone down in the ballroom. It's the one year ceremony of the King Mafia. Every mafia comes to make a good impression. Alec says if they don't come then they are pledging against the King Mafia. No one is stupid enough to do that.

My sniper sits in front of me. I wait for the signal to take out the target.

I'm not stupid. I knew who the target was before I walked in. I knew who the target was even before Alec told me. Not only is it Sage but it's also the King Mafia.

I feel very conflicted. Sitting here knowing what I have to do. I am unsure of why.

I must go through with it though. I twist the ring on my finger. I keep apologizing. I don't know to who though. Myself? Sage? The ring?

I am unsure.

I load the bullet into the sniper as I see Alec head in Sages direction.

I line the bullet up perfectly. I feel a tear escape from my eye. Trickling down my face. Landing on someone down below.

Through my blurry vision I watch as Alec punches Sage. I watch as he holds him in a headlock. I hear everyone gasp once. I hear them gasp again as I shoot.

I fall backwards afraid of seeing the damage I have done. I barely peek over the railing.