Chapter 92 - Will it be the same again?

Start from the beginning

I just broke down in front of the love of my life while he was on a date at a very fancy restaurant.

Yeah, I can cope with that alone.

I then recalled one place that  I hadn't been to for a long time.

A hidden cliff that had a pretty good view of the city, just out of the city. I found the place a couple of years ago and I was glad that I did. It wasn't any special other than the amazing view it had over the skylines. But there was still fresher air and the quiet the city could never manage. It was impossible to get to unless you fly there (as there was no trail) and by the looks of it, it blended in well with the mountainside for other flying Oddity users to notice its existence. I only found it because I was bored and just casually flying around the mountain to kill time. The cliff obviously had no safety fencing but there was enough empty space for three people to stand on. Otherwise, it was surrounded by green trees attached to the mountain. There's also a whole lot of colourful fauna scattered around, with almost all of the colours of the rainbow present.

It was my place to go if I needed a break from the world and just, breathe for a minute or two. I told Aiden about the place soon after and he respected my decision on making it a "me" place and not an "us" place like we usually would've done.

I hadn't needed a proper breather for a long time now as I had been coping with life just fine but then Leo happened and I was not coping fine anymore.

The light breeze gently danced and made the trees dance to the music blasting on the phone, destroying the natural serene atmosphere. But the sad undertone of the music made it a sad atmosphere, even though the music itself is more or less upbeat. The night sky was somewhat cloudy, making the illusion that it was an average day but we all knew it was nothing but average.

It had been ten minutes since I had arrived at the cliff of escape and I had only prevented my puffy, red eyes from getting puffier about two minutes ago. Turns out, I was not done sobbing my eyes or heart out from all the stress that I had been enduring and the tipping point that had caused the embarrassment scene.

I was left with listening to my very sad playlist, with confusing thoughts running through my head.

Why did I have to run into him today out of all days?

Does fate hate me?

Why did he look so distraught when he saw me break down?

Did he not move on from me?

Why did he chase after me after I ran away?

Does he still care?

Why would he still care?

(I'm just a nobody)

Do I want him to find me?

(I think I do)

I had come for a breather but all that ended up happening was me trapping myself in a prison of self-deprecation. Apparently, being by myself is just as toxic as being around someone who causes me constant pain.

There was no escape.

I breathed out a heavy sigh and tried to wipe out all thoughts from my mind. I just focused on the music – singing to it – and watched the view in front of me – with the city skylines lighting up the night sky, hiding the shimmering stars and creating an artificial painting that had a different sort of appeal.

I was so focussed on humming, I had not noticed the sudden change in the wind and along with that, a shift in the atmosphere.

What I had noticed quietly landing behind me was a presence that had once again been the last person I had expected. It was quiet for a while, minus my humming and the music sounding out from my phone.