Chapter 32: An end. (Part 1)

Começar do início

"It's been awhile," the women smiled to him. "It's me Arla." Her face and head uncovered, Kyle could see the reason why she had hidden herself in their meeting. Her eyes were large with thin pupils and on top her head were two ears resembling that of a cat. She smiled revealing a fanged grin.

"It wasn't even that long ago... but it feels like forever," Kyle chuckled his stress away.

"Indeed a lot has happened lately."

Eloi lead the group behind the lodge and to the wall of the Garden. The wall seemed like any other part beside it. The trees around them were like any other with no path or evidence leading to the space. Eloi pressed hand against it and together with several of the other robed church members began to unleash the magic within them. A crack dislodged from the wall and as the rock fell away an old staircase revealed itself. Kyle realised that these were the same stairs that led to the meeting room in Arvel's memories.

"Go through here and keep climbing. You'll reach a wall and need to break through. After that you will be in the Sanctum. The area is deceptively large with spaces quite like the Garden, we do live there after all. Philius will most likely be on the higher floors where we keep the objects of importance. We do not know what you'll be expecting however," Eloi bowed her head and those around her did the same. "We wish you all the best Estile of the Ever-Garden."

An explosion of magic rocked through the Garden causing them all to look back the way they came anxiously. The fight on the other end had begun.

"I'll try my best," Kyle breathed out and firmed himself. "Okay, let's end this. Melissa can you lead the way like before?"

"That's why I'm here," the women nodded with a bright smile and drawing a dagger moved to the tip of the staircase. Kyle followed with Lillia close behind and Reina took the rear. Once clear of the wall, the Church council sealed it again.

Like Eloi had said they followed the stairs and coming to a solid wall broke it apart. There was no way to completely block the sound and the instant there was space Melissa rushed through. The other side however was empty. A large open space welcomed them and like the Garden, the roof had been replaced by a sky reflecting the one outside. The sun had truly set now, the light faded. The space was a communal living centre and leading in different directions were doors that lead to the homes of the Church Council.

Although the space looked comfortable, Kyle felt a pang of regret. This is where they lived their lives. The secretive Council of the Church and their family. The public were lead to believe that they did not reveal themselves for privacy, but the truth was that they couldn't. In a sense they had a living condition worse than that of the Garden's children. To look out for the world but never live within it.

"It's okay," Lillia noticed his grief and pressed her hand to his back. "When everything is done, we can change this. For now we need to find that arsehole Phil or whatever."

"Right," Kyle shook himself and faced forward. "We need to climb higher."

Two flights of stairs later they entered an open area very similar to the Garden but marginally smaller. An open field, space to relax and even a gentle breeze. Like the Garden, while natural, it also couldn't be. Considering everything that existed in the mountain, from the Hero's Guard's compound to the Garden and now the Sanctum there couldn't actually be enough space to fit it all.

Melissa stopped halfway across the field as they headed to another entrance on the other side. Her eyes narrowed in concentration,

"Something isn't quite-," her words cut. The whizz of a bullet sounded and a burst of force as it impacted into the dirt narrowly missing the party. "Sniper!"

Lillia erected a barrier and together they ran towards the source as the bullets continued to assail them. The sniper revealed themselves jumping from a tree close by the exit. Beside them however were two others. Together they stood menacingly, their armour gilded with gold along the usual black edges.

"Lavise Elite Knights," Reina looked at them spitefully. "They're on par with our own combat Officers. Don't let your guard down."

Without saying a word they attacked. Melissa ran after the sniper as they split away into the trees. The other two came straight towards them. Kyle intercepted the larger of the two and swung his sword intent to knock him away. The strike however met against the knight's own blade and neither budged. They really were something else. He had used the same amount of strength that had caused the other knights to fly away, yet the man stood strong.

"Impressive," a snide remark echoed in static from the man's helm.

"Get out of our way, we don't have time for you," Kyle pushed back but couldn't gain any ground.

"But we have all the time for you," with confidence the gilded knight stepped back and with artful precision began to swing his sword. The man was as large as the Captain with a sword to match and though Kyle had never faced the Captain in a fight, he felt like this would be the same. While Kyle's strength allowed him to defend against the mighty blows, his coordination barely kept up. It took all his concentration to stay at the knight's pace.

A yelp of pain resounded and for an instant Kyle turned his eyes away. Reina, her spear drawn, was bleeding from her shoulder. Lillia stood beside her and facing them a knight holding both a spear and staff. Kyle however didn't have the leeway to help as even that brief moment was taken advantage of. A strike more powerful than before almost dislodged the grip on his sword and as he was forced to lean away, a forceful kick struck his gut causing him to cough, leaking blood from his lips.

The pain ebbed quickly but not before the knight could take advantage of it. Kyle's concentration again flared as he tensed his body in defence. Standing his ground he parried the blade low and tilting his body, thrust hard with his shoulder. The tackle sent a shockwave into the knight, most the impact however was dissipated by his armour. Kyle did not let up and raising his sword high brought it down fiercely.

"Oof," the knight was forced to his knee as he blocked the blow. "Such strength for a dainty frame. But is it enough." A click and the knight's helm opened at his mouth revealing a grin and then from his open lips a burst of green gas.

Kyle coughed as the gas struck deep into his lungs and he was forced to retreat. He tried to raise a defence but found his body paralysed. All too quickly the knight's blade lunged towards him. A burst of memories struck Kyle's mind. Hundreds upon thousands of situations that Estile had to break free from, many worse than his and with it the techniques she had applied. Some he couldn't fathom, others were simpler that even he could use in his poisoned state. Kyle chose his option, it wouldn't be his first time.

The knight's great sword impaled through his chest forcing a hunk of blood from Kyle's lips.

"Apologies but we're not paid to fight fairly," the knight looked down at him hands firmly gripping his hilt which dug all the way to Kyle's chest. He motioned to pull away but in surprise felt he couldn't and instead his vision was met by the brightening aura of white that the young man in front of him released.

"It really isn't fair is it," Kyle snarled, his entire body tense as it gripped the blade from within. He roared and swinging both arms clapped the knight's head releasing a powerful gong of sound and force. Just like that the knight fell limp and with a groan Kyle pulled the sword from his body. A moment later the wound fully healed. The quickest way was always when they dropped their guard. Without missing a beat he flung the greatsword towards the gilded knight facing Reina and Lillia. The knight managed to dodge barely in time only to have his armour almost cleaved through by Reina's spear.

"Go!" Reina yelled. "You as well Lillia. We'll handle this."

Lillia paused but nodded and following Kyle ran for the stairs.

"Are you okay?" Kyle asked as they climbed.

"He was strong... but I'm fine," she frowned, a clear concern for the two they had left behind. "We need to end this."

"Let's just hope there's no more of them."

"If there are, we'll take care of them together."