Chapter 14 - The yankees are coming

I watched from the LCD screen from the comfort of my seat in the mess hall, as I quietly wrote down the argument of mutual defence for the kingdom of Elijah, as many around me started giving their personal opinions and advice, some rambling about how surprised they were by the whole ordeal. Sitting beside him was Major Robert, who sat quietly as the reporters gave out the information.

"President Garter explains that, although what the elves and Lilliana have done isn't something we can easily forgive them for, they had announced that the damages would be reimbursed once our forces had landed in the so-called new world, we plan to send representatives to this world and occupy one of their major island which they handed to us as compensation, once there we will bring a foothold on this new world."

Mixed feelings rose among those watching, some were surprised by President Garters' response, and many were genuinely confused, as supporting a country that initially posed a significant danger to the people of San Francisco wasn't heard off. What made him change is that some wondered while others were agitated about the CNN reporting about the portal to a new world similar to the stories they had seen in a stargate or popular SciFi-based films.

The rest of the marines were determined that having a portal and something like that happening in their home country, prompted to believe that President Carter wanted to know more about the other side and assumed that he wanted to make sure they had access to the gate, so it was better to make do and help them at the other side.

Although not something of a smart move for James it was logical that it was an option better taken, being something of a mishap than an intentional one. the television soon speaks furthermore.

"And on the other hand; Russian emissaries are now requesting the return of the state of Alaska, with recent events occurring along Ukrainian borders, President Boska stated that the federation of Russia will obtain its 'lost territory' and among them was Alaska itself."

The female reporter on TV continues, but among James' peers, he could hear the laughter and some chattering about the news of the retrieval of Alaska, although not something he could bother with, he anticipates that Russia would do nothing vastly as they will be focused on the potential war of Ukraine.

[..]

Later that night, the mess hall was now empty, along with some fewer seniors around. He grabs a plastic cup, filling it with coffee, gazing down to see it still hot and delicate, by 0200 he and a few senior officers would have to be on board the USS Essex, with the trip towards the portal being a long voyage. Taking a sip was pungent; the stress on his shoulders was reduced after taking a drink, taking his time another drink he took, and then wondered if there was any potential of a leak at the portal itself, which would let go wild flying dragons or beastman attacking San Francisco.

The interesting outcome, but a result he doesn't wish to come to pass, as this would make the whole new world a threat on earth, deepening his thoughts he wasn't careful around his surroundings, appearing in front of him was his good old friend, Major Robert owlman sitting down towards him as this caught him off guard

"Major! I didn't see you there!" He said as he returned to his senses.

"Lieutenant... good to see. Still, awake eh? isn't it too early to get a cup of joe?"

"Not really, but I needed something to keep afloat during this operation, we will be seeing some shit by the time we reach the bridge."

James gulps while Robert looks through his phone as the clock on his wrist displayed 3:10 AM, by now the marines would be awake and they would have to be aboard on USS Essex, Robert having to take note of this immediately after veered his phone back to pocket, "you should head back to your unit, lieutenant we are leaving soon."