XXI. Reading The Letter

Chapter 21, Reading The Letter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    " Harper was a fighter, so when I watched her give up, I knew that she had been fighting to the point she couldn't keep going anymore. "

  ~ Lori-Anne's POV ~

           "I'm right here Harper, I'm right here."

    That was the last thing I was able to tell my best friend as she died in my arms, tears began to spill uncontrollably as I was pulled away from the body, I didn't want to leave her there, I promised her that she wouldn't die alone and I kept that promise.
   I began kicking and screaming for them to left me go, I didn't want Harper to get mad at me for leaving her there.

    "No! LET ME GO, PLEASE, SHE NEEDS ME IN THERE!"

    I screamed, the nurses gripped tighter as they dragged me out of the room, I kept kicking and flailing my arms to get back inside and when I successfully hit one of the nurses, I ran back, I ran faster than I thought I ever could.
   Seeing Harper lay on the ground as they tried to resuscitate her, I knew that she wouldn't be able to bring back again so I just pleaded for them to let me hold her one last time.

    When I was allowed to hold onto her, I stroked her face as I smiled down at her, it wasn't a grateful smile that she was gone but a smile that she looked so beautiful, she only looked like she was sleeping peacefully.
   I heard screaming and knew that everyone had arrived to go see Harper, when Ms. Larson walked inside, she screamed as I looked up and cried harder.

    I thought she would accuse me of murdering her daughter but instead she pulled me up and into a huge hug, I sobbed into her shirt and held onto her tighter than I have ever gripped on to someone, my knuckles at this moment were white as snow and my face seemed all red.
   My mind wandered around, I needed to know how Harper felt during all of this, why would she feel like she couldn't tell me that she was feeling sick and didn't know what it was? I could've brought her to the hospital and if she didn't want people to know, I would've kept this between just us two.

      "She was choking on her own breath! She gave up as she looked at me, I watched her die and I couldn't do anything!"

    I blubbered as I held onto Ms. Larson, I couldn't breathe at this point because of how much I was crying, I just wanted to take a deep breath and be told that I was on a sick prank show and my best friend wasn't dead at all.
   Charlie walked over to me with Dylan and walked me out of the hospital room, this would be the first time that they saw me cry and didn't know what to do now.

    "Let's just get some water and go for a walk, everything's going to be alright."

    Charlie comforted me softly, I looked at her and nodded but I wasn't able to force a smile out, I just walked with them to get some water.
   I needed to a break from reality, I really did.

  "Harper was a sweet girl, everyone loved her."

    Dylan said as we walked back to the room, Ms. Larson smiled at me and waved us over to the table, she handed each of us a letter, hand written by Harper herself.
   She must have written this before she chose me to stay with her or even earlier, I couldn't help but smile a little as I opened the letter and began to read it.

   Dear Lori-Anne,

      God, you're an insane person did you know that? Everytime you have an idea, your eyes did a little tingle and it would worry the hell out of me, but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna follow through with it.
   Thank you for never leaving me, even when I thought that we were going to die earlier, thank you for not letting me die alone Ava.

    Fun fact, I got the nickname Ava from the song Ava by Famy, I know how you loved that song therefore I gave you the nickname.
   I'm glad that you've been my best friend for half of my life.

    You can have my diary, it's under my bed and I've been writing in it since elementary.

    I love you more than life itself Ava, now it's my turn to make sure you don't die alone..

    Reading the letter made me tear up and realize how she must have been fighting this sickness, I didn't know why I didn't notice sooner, when she told me it was allergies, I should have taken her to the hospital and got her checked.
   I felt like a horrible friend, I felt like there was something I could have done and prevented this to happen, I needed to just get my mind gathered.

    " Harper was a fighter, so when I watched her give up, I knew that she had been fighting to the point she couldn't keep going anymore. "

    I blurted out as I handed the letter to Ms. Larson so she could read it, everyone understood what I meant because of how long she had been feeling this illness and neither one of us decided to hop in a car and drive her to the hospital.
   As I sat down on the bed that Harper once laid in, I allowed myself to close my eyes and think of all the moments I had with her, all the good and all the bad.

    She knew that she was going to pass away soon, her fear over came her and she couldn't be caught off guard with death so she chose me to stay with her, I felt so useless as I watched her choke up her own blood and then pass away in my arms.
   But Harper knew that I would be there, not leaving her side until her last moments.

     Harper trusted me with her life, now it's my turn to trust her with mine.