XX. Final Moments

Chapter 20, Final Moments
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      " I'm not scared anymore Ava, it's a miracle, I'm not scared anymore. "

  ~ Harper's POV ~

     Days have gone by and my system has been getting weaker, I couldn't walk without feeling dizzy and everything that I would eat would just come back up which wasn't a good sign at all, I just wanted to leave now.
   It was the afternoon and my best friends were surrounding me, I looked at them and took a deep breath, everything just didn't feel good at all and I didn't know how long I could go on anymore.

    Lori-Anne kept trying to make me feel better by just talking to me about drama that went on at school and how she's doing academically, I didn't mind her rambling as they were the only thing making me feel better.
   My best friends were trying to tidy up my room and then make me feel better, I loved being around them because they knew how to make me feel better when I didn't think I could feel better.

    "How are you feeling?"

  My mom asked me as she ran her fingers across my forehead to soothe me, I looked at her with a dull smile.

    "Not that good.."

  I breathed out before going into a fit of coughs, I felt like I would suffocate with how much I was coughing.
   When I finally stopped coughing, I cleared my throat and sat up from the bed, I didn't want to be lying on my back if I were to begin to choke on anything like saliva.

    Visiting hours were coming to an end but nobody wanted to leave in case I would pass away in my sleep, we were ready for me, I was ready for what happens in the afterlife.
   I didn't know what to do, I was just sat at the bed trying to think of the good things in life and all the good things that I have ever done in life.

    "Visiting hours are over but only one is allowed to spend the night, Harper which one do you want to stay?"

   The nurse asked as she walked into the room to inform everyone that it was time to go home, I looked around but something in my heart had told me to choose Lori-Anne so that's who I went with, nobody argued or got defensive about anything.
   I said goodbye to my mother and to my best friends and watched them walk out of the room, Lori-Anne smiled at me and walked over to my bed and sat down at the edge of the bed to have a conversation with me.

    "Tell me, are you scared?"

  Lori-Anne asked me, breaking the ice, I looked at her and shrugged my shoulders knowing damn well that I was terrified.

    "I'm scared, more than scared but I don't want to dwell on what's going to happen to me."

  I whispered, it was best if I did whisper those words because if I said it any louder than I would begin to bawl my eyes out, I was petrified of dying but I knew that I wouldn't be alone when it does happen to me.

    "I'm here Harp, you don't need to worry about dying alone."

    I nodded my head and slowly laid down, I was getting exhausted and knew that I wanted to sleep whether I wanted to or not, I muttered a goodnight to my best friend and slowly drifted off to sleep.
   Lori-Anne kissed my forehead as she held on to my hand and began to pray silently, when my eyes shut that's when I began to pray as well.

   I was awoken with my throat getting all scratchy which caused me to wake up, it was the middle of the night and I felt like I was being suffocated but nobody was around me, Lori-Anne was in the bathroom and I knew that because the light was on.
  I felt like the wind knocked all the oxygen out of my lungs and I began to get up from the bed but tripped over my own IV cord and landed on the ground.

    The thud must have been loud because the door was swung open and Lori-Anne rushed over to me, throwing her phone to the bed and quickly falling to her knees to grab me, I looked at her as tears swelled my eyes.
   I watched as she reached for the nurse button and pressed it multiple times before screaming for help, I grabbed onto her arms tightly as she wrapped them around me and looked down at me as she began to pray.

    I couldn't breathe, I was stuck choking on nothing but air and it wouldn't allow itself into my lungs so that I would be okay again, as I began to cough up my own blood, I looked at Lori-Anne and smiled softly as tears left my eyes.

   " I'm not scared anymore Ava, it's a miracle, I'm not scared anymore. "

    I coughed out, Lori-Anne began to cry as she wiped my tears away from my face, I was wheezing at this point and my whole body was shaking, it felt like a was having a seizure or an anxiety attack with the way I was having my compulsions.
   As the doors were swung open and the nurses rushed to my aid, I just gripped tighter to Lori-Anne and shook my head.

    She understood what that meant and just held me into her arms as I began to look into her eyes and forced a smile.

    "I'm right here Harper, I'm right here."

  Lori-Anne sobbed.

  That was the last thing I heard, Lori-Anne was the last person that I saw before I stopped coughing and breathing altogether.

    I wasn't afraid to die alone, that was the only miracle that was given to me.