I. First Day Back

Chapter 1, First Day Back
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    " Imagine hanging out with an intelligent, mature person. Now throw that idea out the window and you got Lori-Anne. "

  ~ Harper's POV ~

        Hi, I'm Harper, it's nice to meet you!

     I practiced my greetings in my head as I got out of bed and walked to the bathroom to brush my teeth, today was the first day back at Ridgewood High and I wanted to make a good first impression.
  Although I already have my friend group and they were good individuals, I wanted to make some friends in the classes that I have so that I wouldn't be lonely.

      Sometimes I'd have classes with my friends but this year, I wasn't that sure that I'd be so lucky, always have a backup plan.
   I finished brushing my teeth, I dried my face from the water that I had splashed to help me wake up and look like I was alive rather than looking as if I was dead.

     Ooh, nice top you have on! Where'd you get it, it brings out your eyes.

     Now it's time to work on my compliments, you always got to boost someone self esteem so that when they wake up in the morning and get ready for bed at night, they view themselves differently and realize that they are worth more than anything in gold.
   It's always good to feel yourself, make sure that you know how pretty you are and that nobody's words could bring you down, not even if they were doing it to save their life.

    "Harper! Are you getting dressed?"

    My mother yelled from the bottom of the stairs, just as I was walking out of the bathroom and headed for my room, I stopped at the stairs.

    "Yes mama!"

    I shouted back at her before walking back to my room and closing the door gently, I walked to my closet and searched through it, hoping to find something really fashionable and school appropriate.
   Every year they would have  dance tryouts for the new dance squad, I haven't been allowed to tryout because you had to be a Junior or a Senior, so this year would finally be my year as I'm a Junior.

    Dancing has always been a passion of mine, the spotlight shining down on me as I move freely and gracefully on the stage, blowing minds of the audience.
    I wanted to go to a prestigious college where I could be a competitive dancer, I wanted to be the best dancer and if I couldn't be that then I knew that I could probably be a back up dancer.

      Anything that had to do with dancing was something I was interested in, but I didn't always talk about dancing.
  It's just something I only ever thought about and did some studying on it, I was pretty flexible which made me think that my chances of being a dancer were pretty good.

    "Harper! Hurry up, you need breakfast in your system!"

     My mother yelled from the bottom of the steps, I sighed and hurried up so that I can go downstairs and stop her from screaming again, I don't need the neighbors waking up and coming over to lecture us about our voices.
   I put my earrings on and rings before spraying some perfume on my body, I had my hair in beautiful braids so I didn't have to waste any time on that.

    I grabbed my phone off the charger and putting it in my pocket before grabbing my bookbag, I turned the lights off and made sure all of my plugs were unplugged.
   Didn't need to start a fire on the first day of school and become homeless, I walked out of my room and walked down the stairs a bit sluggishly.

    "Harp, I made you some toast with strawberry milk. Eat and drink it quickly."

     My mother kissed my forehead before handing me my plate and glass cup, I smiled at her and walked to the dining room.
   Nerves were kicking around in my stomach, making me feel like I have to throw up but I managed to choke down my food and drown out the nerves with some strawberry milk.

        When I finished, I got up from the table and walked to the kitchen to put my dish in the sink and walk to the bus stop.
   My mom is a busy woman, she doesn't have time for driving me to school and picking me up from it, she gave me a metro card and told me to not look or speak to any strangers.

    I take that advice seriously, you can't trust anyone these days.

     "Goodbye mama, I'll text you when I'm at school. Have a good day at work and behave yourself, remember, Tonya's an old lady."

       My mom looked at me and rolled her eyes playfully before kissing my cheek and hugging me, I smiled at her and walked out the door with the house keys swinging from my neck.
   Tonya's my mom's boss at work, although the old woman has wrinkles on her face and uses a cane to walk, she still manages to get under my mom's skin and push her to the deep end.

      Remembering that she's an old lady and soon won't be on this earth is what's stopping my mom from sending her wrinkly self straight to hell.
   Can't be remembered as the woman who treated the boss badly while she was on her death cane, that's a bad look for not just her but for me.

    Just as I made it to the bus stop, my mom began to call me, I answered with a smile playing on my lips knowing that she was just paranoid with leaving me all alone.
   Even though I've told her that I could take care of myself and I was able to protect my own skin.

     "Tell me about Lori-Anne, what's she's like?"

    My mother began to ask me, she wanted to keep herself busy as I got onto the bus.
   I had my earbuds in the minute she called, I don't like it when I have people eavesdropping in our business.

   Like I know your life is as dry as a desert but come on, have some human decency and mind your business.
   Unless you're having an argument, then turn that up, I need to know whose side I'm on before I start defending.

    " Imagine hanging out with an intelligent, mature person. Now throw that idea out the window and you got Lori-Anne. "

    I explained to my mother, only for her to laugh at my words.
   Her laugh was angelic, everyone loves hearing it because it was never that noisy or that weird, it was just right.

    Finally arriving to my school, I told my mom that I would be seeing her after school and that I'd be alright.
   Hanging up on her, I walked slowly to my highschool, not ready for whatever it has in store for me.