XVII. It's Already Too Late

Chapter 17, It's Already Too Late
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

       " I don't know why you're sorry, I'm the one who waited too long to come to the hospital. "

  ~ Harper's POV ~

    When the morning came, you would know, the chatter of the incoming patients and the noises of nurses getting to where they needed to go was what would wake you up, I got up from the bed and walked with to the bathroom to brush my teeth.
  I was already hooked up to an IV monitor so I had to make sure I didn't trip on it or have it fall, it felt like walking on eggshells.

    My mom had to go home to bring some of my essentials here and to go ask to be excused from work for a couple of weeks to help me with this, I was a little nervous for today because I had to do checkups and tests all day.
    I walked out of the bathroom after doing my business and laying back into the bed, I had a remote to the tv that I didn't know actually worked.

    There was a knock at the door and in came my nurse, she brought me breakfast and a drink before walking over to me to do some morning checkups just to see how I'm doing now, she's been a complete angel to me.
   Everything she asked me to do that was for the checkup, I complied with no questions or complaints, still exhausted from last night, when she left my room, I found myself slowly falling back asleep.

    I don't even take a bite from my breakfast when my mother came back to me snoring lightly, although I rarely ever snored, it wasn't that surprising when I woke up and my mom told me that I was.
   All I did was raise my eyebrows and then wolf down the breakfast that was brought to me about three hours ago, it was some cereal with a small milk carton on the side with an orange and a spoon.

   "I've been thinking a lot about yesterday, all I can say is that I apologize for my attitude. You're just in shock and I was too, but that doesn't excuse the way I treated you."

    I apologized to my mother as I poured the milk into my cereal and mixed it around with my spoon, I looked at her as she smiled at me and nodded her head as a sign of acceptance.
   My hair was in the messiest state it has ever been but there's not much for me to do at all, I didn't have my hair supplies and even if I did, the discomfort that I would have doing it while being attached to the IV would be just awful.

    "Good morning Harper, good morning Ms. Larson, how are we doing today?"

     Doctor Hansen greeted us after knocking on the door and walking when he got the okay, I looked at him and just raised my thumbs not really feeling any pain or discomfort at the moment, my mom just told him she was in the middle.
  I watched as he settled his clipboard down on the table across from me and then doing his regular checkup on me, I just sat there awkwardly as he touched my throat and then asked me to take a deep breath.

   "Well, I got some good news and I've got some bad news, which do you want to hear first?"

    The doctor asked me, I looked at my mom before shrugging my shoulders and asking him to tell me the good news first, I watched as he grabbed his clipboard and looked at me with a gentle, warm smile.

    "Good news is, you're doing a good job with your checkups and tests, some teens your age just shut down and refuse to do any type of test."

    Okay, that was good news but if that was the good news then what was the bad news? Had I failed a test and needed to retake it? Did they need to do a blood test because that's the real bad news here.

    "The bad news is, Harper you waited too long to come to us, I'm afraid that your cancer is irreversible."

    My soul shattered, my heart couldn't even break when I heard those words come out of his mouth, I felt my tears stream down my face and my mother's hand flew to her mouth.
   I just looked at him and nodded my head as my lip quivered, he told us he'd be back later for my last checkup, when the door shut, I laid down and stared at the wall, ignoring the tv that was playing.

    "Harper, I am so, so sorry.."

   My mother began to apologize, as if she was the one who cursed me with this illness that I know have to live with for the rest of my life or for how long it takes for the cancer to consume my life.

   " I don't know why you're sorry, I'm the one who waited too long to come to the hospital. "

    I murmured as I messed around with my IV, I looked at her and sighed, wiping away my tears as crying would do nothing but make my nosey stuffy and make me feel worse about what was going on.
   These past few days, all I've ever done was cry and cry which made me realize that this is probably how Sophie had felt.

    At this moment, knowing that I most likely don't have that long as I had already felt a little weak, I needed to speak to my friends and tell them what was going on, there was no time for worrying about how they were going to react to this situation.
   I looked at my mom as she paced around the room, thinking of some kind of solution to this problem before I got up and walked over to her.

    "Mom, I think I'm ready to tell my friends about this."

    I told my mother, she stopped pacing and looked at me before asking me if I was sure about this, I nodded my head and told her that I was definitely sure about this.

    "We can do it tomorrow when you have enough energy to speak about it, for now, go lie down and take a nap."

     My mother sent me off, I nodded my head and walked over to the bed, laying down and closing my eyes, I didn't know how exhausted I was but when my head hit the pillow, I was out like a light.
   It didn't take long for me to realize that I wasn't going to be able to pass this cancer, I was going to die and I needed to prepare myself for this.

    But, I'm not sure if everyone else is prepared for it like I am.