CHAPTER TEN

KIARA

August 1st 10:30

"Guys, it won't stop ringing...what do we do?" Cassie seemed braver than the rest of us, standing right at the trunk of Dixon's car, her hand placed precariously on it.

"It's been a half hour..." Elvis noted, "Whoever it is is not happy..."

"Do you think it's his father?" Dixon piped up, arms folded.

"Richard has been in hiding for years since he escaped. He'd hardly use a phone." I gnawed on the inside of my lip, body itching to move forward and just open the trunk, "I'm gonna open it."

"Are you sure?" Cassie turned to give me a frown, "One, it's probably disgusting in there and two, what if we use the phone and it starts tracking us?"

"Body decomposition is a slow process." I shrugged, "The smell now is coming from the corpse bloating. He'll look a bit disgusting but not enough to make me vomit. Plus the fact that the phone is switched on at all means it can be tracked. I figured the river would have broken it. We might as well take a look."

Dixon furrowed his brow, stepping next to Elvis. Elvis reached a hand to the small of his back, holding him there tightly. I expected Cassie to step back beside them but to my surprise she trailed her fingers down to the trunk, preparing to open it for me. I stepped towards it and she gave me a smile and a nod, steeling herself for whatever was inside. I couldn't help but give her a small smile and really take her in for a moment before I popped the hood.

Her hair was pulled back in a loose bun, curling tendrils falling loose and pliant around her heart shaped face. Her eyes met mine, wide and fearful but still with a small hint of a smile on her lips. She was gorgeous.

"Look," Elvis began, snapping me away from Cassie's gaze, "Just open it, grab the phone and slam it shut again."

I nodded, biting the bullet and pulling the trunk open. Charles looked pretty much as I suspected, slightly bloated, his skin discoloured and a small trail of foam leaking from his mouth. I couldn't look away from his eyes, half closed and sagging.

"Kiara?"

"Ki?"

"Kiara!"

I shook my head, face buried in my knees that were drawn up to my chest. I slapped my palms over my ears, praying for the shouts to stop, for everything to just stop.

"You get out here right now! Before I drag you by the ear back to that group home."

In that instant I snapped.

"I wish you would!" I screamed, not moving from my position.

I regretted it instantly as the footfalls grew louder until they were outside the closet door. It was yanked open and I found myself staring at the thick black work boots I had come to know so well.

"Let me go!" I shrieked, kicking and flailing as I was dragged by the scruff of my neck out of the closet.

"Hold still!" He roared, dragging me out of the room, "You want to act like a mongrel? Then you get treated like a mongrel. I'll take you to the pound and get you put down."

"Please no!" I sobbed, kicking wildly and feeling a sense of satisfaction when it connected with his shin.

"You little bitch!"

I howled as the back of his hand connected with my cheek, his thick rings leaving a cut across my face.

"That's it!" He snapped, moving towards the bannister with obvious intention, "You have been horrible ever since Sheila decided to foster you. I warned her not to, after what happened with you and that fire, but she insisted!" He shook his head.