CHAPTER 4-THE TRUE EVIL?; SCENE 3

+ The Daughter of Evil ~In the Lucifenian Palace, "The Dungeons"

How much time had passed?

The sound of the Levin church bell didn't make it all the way down to this dungeon. There was a small barred window built into the ceiling. I was willing to bet that sunshine shone through there, normally. But now that window had boards hammered over it, so I couldn't see anything of the outside.

Occasionally, I could hear a faint voice singing through those boards. A yet childish voice. No, perhaps that was just my imagination. It was so faint I couldn't tell. I thought that maybe some child was singing to themselves while playing around the palace somewhere.

A song... Michaela's song had been very wonderful. Come to think of it, the "Daughter of Evil" would sing too sometimes, when she was in a good mood. And as I recalled, Germaine and Leonheart would also sing, extremely off key, when they had had too much to drink.

Before I knew it, I was singing too. I sang a lullaby that my mother had often sung to me, when I was very little.

The song was good. It let me forget my anxieties. I would keep singing like this forever.

"Oi, cut the racket! Shut up!"

The soldier on guard raised his voice in anger, swinging the glow of his lamp in my direction. But I ignored him, and kept singing.

"...Tch."

The guard said no more than that, clicking his tongue at me. He was probably a Marlon soldier. I knew that in Marlon it was forbidden to commit any kind of assault or torture against criminals.

Clack...Clack...

I heard a new sound coming from somewhere. The sound of footsteps. Somebody was making their way down to this prison. Was it time for the guards to switch shifts?

"Guard, your work here is much appreciated. How's it going?"

Whoever was coming down spoke to the guard. It sounded like a woman. For some reason, hearing her voice calmed me down somewhat.

"Ha, she's been quiet. Although right after we put her in there it was difficult 'cause she was constantly raging in there."

"I see...Maybe that means she's accepted her fate."

My raging back then hadn't been because I was trying to escape. I had done it because I thought that was what the "Daughter of Evil" would do.

"I'm sorry but do you think you could step away from your post for a bit?" the woman asked the guard.

"No, but..."

"Please! No matter what, I must speak alone with the princess."

"...I understand. But please be careful. Please make sure you don't leave the cell unlocked."

I heard a clattering, a different set of footsteps, get farther and farther away. Sounded as though the soldier had headed upstairs.

"Greetings, princess. At long last we meet."

A woman spoke through the iron bars and stood before my cell. I couldn't see her well in the dark, but she appeared to have on deep red armor. I had heard that the leader of the revolutionary army had been a swordswoman in red armor. Ah, so she was the ringleader of all this.

...She had a voice that I'd heard somewhere before.

"I am the leader of the revolution, Germaine Avadonia. Princess, I came to tell you that the date of your execution has been decided on."

"...Ha ha...Hahahahahaha!"

What a masterpiece. I had to laugh. What did she say just now? That the date of my execution had been decided? It wasn't that. It was her name. Germaine Avadonia. Ha ha, I knew that name!

"What are you laughing at? Have you gone mad at the revelation that you're going to die?"

I stood, and drew closer to the bars. When I did, I could see her face more clearly. There was no mistaking it. She was Leonhart's daughter, Germaine.

"It's been decided that you will be executed at three in the afternoon two days from now, in Milanais Square. Until then you should repent to God for your crimes up until now."

It seems Germaine hadn't yet realized my true identity. My masquerade was pretty good. Without meaning to I praised myself inside my mind.

"Is that your only business? If so then leave at once. We are tired," I said to her, and then moved to once again go back to the other side of the cell.

But at that moment-

"...Wait a second!"

Germaine held me back. When I turned around, her eyes were clearly wide and shaking.

"...Wait a second...What's the meaning of this? Why are you..."

As one would expect, I had been found out. Even so, I couldn't let her know who I truly was, that I wasn't her.

"What are you talking about? The ones who tossed Us in this filthy place was none other than you and your ilk."

"Stop messing with me! Allen, it is you isn't it!? Why..."

"What a noisy woman you are...Perhaps it is you who has gone mad, from getting drunk off of your prized victory wine."

"Allen Avadonia! The son of Leonhart of the Three Heroes, and my only brother!...I'm right, aren't I?"

Tears wavered in her eyes. Seemed I was at the limit of feigning ignorance.

"...It's been a long time, hasn't it Germaine?"

"...Allen!"

The cat was already out of the bag now. I told Germaine everything.