CHAPTER 2, SECTION 2-THE GEAR'S GUIDING DESTINATION; SCENE 5

Allen ~In the Lucifenian Palace, "The Millenium Tree Forest"~

When I returned to the palace, Riliane and Ney were talking about something in the servant's quarters.

"...Yeah...but...please...keep what I've said a secret."

"Mhm...Thank you. You have served Us well as ever."

It had been a while since I'd seen Riliane in such a good mood. What were they discussing?

"What is it you need, Your Majesty? Why are you in the servant's quarters?"

When I spoke up, Ney made a shocked expression.

"With-with that-! I'll take my leave," she said, heading out of the room.

"Allen? ...Perfect, sit down," Riliane said, her tone clearly expressing her anger. "Where did you go today?"

"We had run out of green onions, so I went to buy more."

"Oh yes?...Green onions? Have they grown along quite well?"

Cold sweat ran down my brow.

"...I don't know what you're getting at."

"Then We will speak plainly. Is the 'Daughter of Green' doing well?"

My breath stopped.

"The 'Daughter of Green'...Seems her name is Michaela. First We've heard of her. Allen....We are very disappointed, that even you could possibly betray Us." Riliane took out a piece of parchment and began to write something on it. "But We are kind. And We...don't hate you. So, We will give you a chance."

Riliane put the parchment in a small bottle, and then handed it to me.

"Look at the contents."

Even without looking at it, I knew what was written inside.

-We want you to kill Michaela-

When I left the room, Ney was standing there with a guilty-looking face.

"Uh...Uh, hey Allen. I'm sorry...But I...I couldn't keep quiet..."

"It's alright, Ney. Can't be helped. We're the princess' servants. If I had been in your place, I would have done the same thing."

But where had Ney learned of Michaela?

-Back then. When I had spoken with Keel in the jail. I'm sure Ney had heard us then.

Should I attack her for that?

No, it wasn't her fault. I was the one who'd carelessly asked about it.

"So then...what are you going to...do? Are you going to...kill the Daughter of Green...like the Princess said?" Ney asked with upturned eyes.

"Doing that...I don't know."

"..."

"-I might end up...having to say goodbye to you really soon."

"-! Allen..."

She seemed to be able to grasp the meaning of what I said. Ney gazed at me with a surprised expression, but I left. I was no longer in the mood to talk with her any further than that.

Ultimately I couldn't answer that day.

But Riliane wouldn't wait for me for long.

If the princess is asking me to erase Michaela, then I have to answer that. If it's to protect Riliane, I will even become evil. Isn't that what I had vowed!?

But...

I greeted the next morning without having slept.

-And had come to one conclusion.