CHAPTER 3, SECTION 2-THE CONCLUSION OF THEIR WISH; SCENE 3

♦ Allen ~In the Lucifenian Palace, "The Servant's Quarters"~

"...It's begun."

I could hear a racket going on outside. The head maid had murmured her remark upon hearing it.

She and I were alone in the servant's quarters. The other servants had all run away before we even knew it. Ney and Chartette as well.

"If Ney was going to run away, I wish she had said at least one comment to me about it...So much for the dutiful parent and child, in several ways."

"..."

"Allen, you've done enough. There's still time. If you're going to escape, now's the time."

"I said it before, and I'll say it again. Although back then it was directed at Elluka, but... I will protect Riliane."

The head maid let out a single, long sigh.

"Her 'prophecy'...It's come true, hasn't it? Just as Elluka said, in the end I hadn't been able to change a single thing."

"We don't know that yet. The palace hasn't fallen yet, and Riliane is still alive."

"You're strong, aren't you?...In the end you're exactly as I'd hoped-" The expression that the head maid was looking at me with seemed to change slightly. "Hey, Allen. There's something that I've been thinking about this whole time, something to protect this country. Would you-hear what I have to say?"

"...If there's something I can do, anything."

"I see-Thank you."

No sooner had she finished speaking than the head maid suddenly knelt before me.

"Wha..."

"Allen-No, Lucifenia's prince, Alexiel Lucifen d'Autriche. I, Mariam Phatipe, one of the Three Heroes, do here now swear my allegiance to you."

And she held out a single golden blade, and presented it before me.

"This is a sword handed down in the Lucifenian royal family-With this...You must defeat the 'Daughter of Evil', Riliane! ...If you tell me that you do not want to do it, then I do not mind doing so in your stead. If you declare your support for the revolution after the princess is dead, then this battle will likely calm down."

"Wha-what are you saying...head maid?"

"Frankly I have always thought this...that the one most suitable for reigning over this country is not Riliane-but you."

Her expression was serious.

"I had...I had always thought you were someone who would protect Riliane-"

"It is not Riliane that I want to protect. It is this country called Lucifenia-this country that King Arth and Queen Anne bequeathed to us. The idea that someone of their blood would govern it...that was Arth and Anne's wish, and as such I must give my life to that."

"..."

"Surely you've always thought about this. Wondering why Riliane is given everything, and yet you are not. Today your roles are reversed. ...Come, give your command! Tell your humble servant to kill Princess Riliane!"

Her strength seemed different to me than that of Leonheart or Elluka.

That is, she was someone who could not find the meaning of her own existence without swearing allegiance to something, without martyring herself for someone-it was a loyalty that seemed like madness.

It reminded me of someone. I couldn't immediately think of who that was, but soon enough I realized it.

The loyalty she felt towards this "country"-perhaps it was somewhat close to the feelings I bore in reference to Riliane.