CHAPTER 1, SECTION 2-THE SHAPE OF THE EVIL DWELLING IN THEIR HEARTS; SCENE 6

♦ Allen ~In the Lucifenian Palace, "Riliane's Room"~

It was the next night.

I was on standby outside Riliane's room.

I listened intently to a conversation going on inside.

"You've come as I asked, good. Please, sit."

That was Riliane's voice.

"...Princess Riliane. It's a little questionable for a man and a woman to be alone together at this time of night..."

That was the voice of my adoptive father-no, the head of the royal guard, Sir Leonhart.

"We don't want anyone else to hear this conversation. It cannot be helped. Or else what? Do you intend to be carried away by lust and swoop down on Us?"

"W...! What!? Don't be absurd!"

Leonhart appeared to be growing flustered at Riliane's teasing words.

"Just joking. We know that you have no interest in a child like Us. The head of the royal guard is likely more fond of big-chested women like Our mother was, yes?"

"...! You-you make such a jest!"

It seemed that at the time mine and Riliane's late mother, Queen Anne, had been alive, there was a secret rumor going around that Leonhart held a love for her. I hadn't known about that, but Ney once covertly told me about it earlier. Riliane probably heard it from Ney too.

"Well, let us get onto the real issue. The truth is, Leonhart, that We have begun to think that as this country's ruler, it is time that We must begin to think more about the people We are ruling over."

Perhaps because he was surprised by Riliane's words, or because he was uneasy from all the jokes at his expense up until then, Leonhart's voice shook a little bit.

"What does that mean, Your Majesty?"

"You took food out from the palace stores...Wait a minute, don't panic, We aren't intending to convict you for that. Rather, We are grateful that you have kept the citizenry in mind thus far."

"..."

"From this point on you may freely take food from the stores. However! When you do, you will always do so after properly obtaining Our consent. We hate it when things are done sneakily behind Our back."

For a moment there was silence.

"...Ah...! Thank you very much, Your Majesty!"

"Oh ho ho ho. Very well. The two of us have been like cats and dogs thus far, but from now on let us be in harmony."

"...! Princess Riliane! You have made me truly grateful!"

He really was happy. Leonhart's voice was still trembling, but even I could hear from outside the room that it had a different implication than the trembling up until that point.

There were sounds coming from the room. It sounded like someone was moving glass or silverware.

"Today is a celebration. You've been abstaining from alcohol all this time, haven't you? As today is a good day, you should drink."

Ordinarily, Leonhart would firmly decline. That was what Riliane and I were most afraid of.

But,

"Thank you most graciously! Cheers!"

Seemed the prey had taken the bait.

There was the sound of liquid pouring.

"'Blood Grave'...This drink is said to have been drunken regularly by that vampiress, Vanika Conchita...Relax, there's no blood in it, only the finest wine," Riliane explained. She had brought out an extremely rare, high grade drink.

"Oh! Exquisite! How mild a flavor! Your Majesty, how about it, you should try some as well."

It sounded as though Leonhart was in an extremely good mood, tasting such a high quality product that he would never be able to get his hands on normally.

"We do not touch alcohol. It is simply incomprehensible what you would find good about such a bitter juice."

"That's because you're too young yet, Princess Riliane. When you've got more years on you, eventually the day will come when you can appreciate this flavor."

Their banquet continued on throughout the night.