CHAPTER 3, SECTION 1-THE GATHERING OF ALLIES; SCENE 5

♦ Allen ~In the Lucifenian Palace, "Training Grounds"~

I had just happened to pass by the mercenaries' training grounds on the outskirts of the palace.

Gast was surrounded by three palace soldiers. They were heaping scorn upon him, openly showing their anger.

"You mercenaries are nothing but overbearing thugs, we can't put up with this!"

"Thanks to you jackasses rioting around town however you please, our reputation as palace soldiers is in the gutter!"

"If you're the one in charge then you need to do something about them!"

It was true that the city was in an uproar thanks to the mercenary's actions.

Looting, rape, murders...they did whatever they wanted to do, using the authority of the palace.

"Though we are called a mercenary group, we aren't actually a single collective," Gast replied to their jeers, expression one of idle irritation. "I simply gather ruffians who want coin and find one who is willing to employ them. It is of no concern to me what they do afterwards."

This did nothing to abate the soldiers' anger. On the contrary, one of them was shaking, his face a deep red.

Gast continued to speak. "...And, from what I've heard from one of the mercenaries, there is already some turbulent activities going on in the town. Such as the townspeople getting together and discussing things in large groups. Perhaps you ought to be more vigilant, hm?"

"I haven't heard anything like that! Why should we lend credence to what the likes of you say!?"

"...Well well. So the famously celebrated Lucifenian army aren't a big deal either. With you lot, this country isn't likely to last for long."

"Y-you bastard! How dare you say that!?"

The one soldier drew his sword. This was awful, I had to stop him...!

-Whumph-

...Before I knew it, the soldier who'd drawn his sword was foaming at the mouth, lying on the ground.

What? What the heck did he just do?

"Augh, ohhh god..."

Giving a sidelong glance to the other two who were seized with fear, Gast left.