Chapter 2 - A Fresh Start

I sat in my car next to the coast, overlooking the waves. They're supposed to make me feel better but they're not. It's embarrassing because this isn't the first time I've been 'let go' from a job, I don't know what to do. I'm jobless and need to get another job before I run out of money. I couldn't stand looking at Shirley when I left. I just grabbed my bag from the staff room and went out the back.

I decided to just drive to the beach. I got out of my car and headed down to the sand. All I wanted to do was cry. I decided to message Stella.

Me: Hellppp. I was actually fired today 😭 where are you?

I sat down on the sand, the beach wasn't as busy this afternoon as it usually is. The sun is covered by clouds and the sand is slightly damp from yesterday's rain. My phone dinged.

Stella: Shit! Haha again!? We're closer to the skate park come see me!!

Oh thanks, Stell. Another message came through.

Stella: Sorry didn't mean to laugh 🤭 are you okay?

I got a notification dropdown. My mom!

Mom: How was your day? ❤️

Oh, mom...

Me: Not bad! I'll talk to you later

Of course, I lied, I can't tell her what really happened it'll ruin her day.

Mom: okay sweetie ❤️

I walked up the beach slowly and miserably. For one I hate applying for jobs, like... there's nothing worse, the idea stressed me out.
I could see my friends in the distance they got their music blaring and I could see they were already drinking. I wish I was as smashed as them right now.

"Laney" Hallie shouted "Laney come here" I saw Stella nudge her and say something to her.

Oh no she's gonna tell her about my shitty news.

I got over to them and Hallie gave me a big hug. "Oh girl, don't worry we've got everything you need right here." She smiled at me and handed me a bottle of Corona. Bless this girl.

"Don't I'll cry," I said.

Stella came up, to give me a hug, she was smirking at me, and finally, I let out a laugh. She squeezed me tightly. "Had to be you." She laughed. "You had to get out of there anyway, this is a good thing."

"What happened?" Jack asked. I turned to him, I guess I'll let everyone know.

"I got fired." I shared.

Everyone made a trying sigh, while Nick laughed.

"Thanks, Nick," I said sarcastically.

"Well, it's funny! Isn't this your like second time getting fired?" He laughed.

"Third," I mumbled slumping down on the sand next to Hallie.

"Nick!" Stella yelled angrily. She nudged him in the arm. "You don't even have a job."

"I do! It's called being on call." He said.