Hawaii

"Who has influenced you more? Your mother or your father? And how?" The host of Miss Hawaii asked me.

"I would say my mother. Because I never knew my father. He was just never around. But my mother taught me to not depend on anyone. She raised me all on her own. No help from anyone. She may have taught me other things like to cook or to surf. But she taught me the true meaning of independence." I respond. I walk back to my spot in line. As I stand there, other girls go and answer their questions. I'm nervous. I look out into the crowd to look for my mom. I see her and all my nerves go away.

"Ok judges time to tally up the scores and see who is the next Miss Hawaii!" The host smiles to the camera. We all get ushered off stage to change into our crowning dresses. Mine is a coral mermaid dress. It makes my naturally tanned skin stand out and my beautiful chocolate eyes to be ten times more beautiful. I let my long dark brown hair flow down where the hair stylist adds a few light curls to it. Simple. Just the way I like it.

Ding

Time to head back. I get in position waiting to be called up.

"Miss Lalelei Anoa'i you're up." The director calls. I walk onto the stage escorted by one of the male escorts they offer. Mine was one of my best male friends, Jake. He's a surfer and moved here two years ago from California. After the last girl was out, the male escorts exited. Then the host and the crowning team went to the front of the stage.

"And this years Miss Hawaii is........ Miss Lalelei Anoa'i!" The host announces. I go up to him to receive my crown. Epp! I won! Now onto Miss America and then to my dream of becoming Miss Universe will be closer than ever. "Do you accept this crown, with all the duties that come with it?" he asked after the crowning team gave me the flower bouquet.

"Yes, I accept" I smile. Then the team puts the shash and crown on me. Confetti and applause was everywhere.
.
.
.
Backstage after all the celebratory pictures that had to be taken.
.
.
.
"Lalelei, I'm so proud of you" my mom smiles at me as I finish taking my makeup off.

"Thanks mom." I smile.

"Now onto Miss America?" Mom smiles.

"And after I kick some booty there, Miss Universe is next" I smile back.

"Just one step at a time princess" mom reminds.

"I know" I smile.

"Hey Lale! Gonna go to that bone fire tonight?" Jake asks. I look at my mom and she nods.

"Yeah, I'll meet you guys there" I smile.

"Cool! Don't forget that s'more you owe me!" Jake winks. He leaves.

"Jake huh?" Mom asks with a smirk on her face.

"No we're just friends" I sigh.

"He's a nice boy Lale. Give him a chance" mom smiles.

"Mom" I groan.

"What? He's not gonna wait around for you forever!" she comments.

"Fine. I'll give him a chance" I sigh. "Now help me get out of this stupid dress!" I add. I get out of the dress and then take off the crown. I throw on some sweat pants and my Best In The World t-shirt. Yes, I'm a fan of WWE. I toss on my ugg boots. As I was getting dressed my mom packed up my pageant stuff and put it in the car. I grab my crown and shash and then we leave. On the way home we stopped for food. Taco Bell. When we get home, I help carry my stuff inside and then hop in the shower. I throw on my pink and green bikini top and matching bottoms. I add little makeup, lip gloss. I blow dry my hair and then throw on a tank top and shorts over my bikini and put on my flip flops. I grab my purse and phone and head to the car. I drive to the beach. The bonfire has already started and my friends are already here. I park and then walk over to the fire.

"Lalelei!" Sasha, my best friend, yells when she sees me. "You made it! Have a drink!" she slurrs. I grab the drink she handed to me and take a sip.

"Join us. We were just about to play truth or dare" Jake smiles as he tosses a log into the fire.

"Ok. Jake truth or dare?" I smirk as I sit down on the sand.

"Truth. Cause your evil" he jokes.

"Who would you kiss that is around this fire tonight?" I ask.

"Easy. I would have to kiss you" he smirks. "Ok Sasha, truth or dare?" he asks.

"Dare!" she answers.

"Twerk on the fire" he smirks.

"Easy" she replies. She starts twerking on the fire. She sits and then goes "Lale. Truth or dare?" she asks.

"Uh truth" I say. I take a drink of my beer.

"Ok. I dare you to take a swim with Jake." Sasha smiles.

"But I said truth!" I whine.

"Go!" she points to the water.

"Fine. Come on Jake" I groan. Me and Jake go into the water. "It's fucking freezing!" I complain.

"Of course it is" he chuckles. "So you never met your dad?" Jake asks as we go deeper.

"Never. Whenever I asked my mom about him she would tell me that he doesn't matter. He's just the sperm donor" I explain.

"Your last name is Anoa'i? That's the same as your mom's?" Jake asks.

"No" I answer.

"So your not related to Roman Reigns? His real name is Joe Anoa'i." Jake explains.

"Wait are trying to say...." I start.

"Yep. The first time I saw you, I insensately thought of him. And whenever I see him on tv, I'm reminded of you. So I looked into it. And you two have the same last name." Jake explains.

"So we're both Samoan. Maybe he's related to my dad." I shrug.

"I doubt it. Ask your mom about it. Your old enough to know now" he replies.

"Your right. I should ask her." I smile. "So truth or dare?" I smirk at him.

"Dare" he smirks back. Then he kisses me. I kiss back.