Chapter 42

After spending my very last day at home, just me and my mom, we now find ourselves at the airport, staring at the security line.

It's just about 20 more steps to the gate and to my independence, the beginning of my adulthood and my adventure.

My mom is having just as much trouble as me. She's holding my hand so tight I am not sure she's ever going to let go.

And at that moment, I hear someone yelling my name, I turn around and Michael is running towards me. He's holding something.

When he finally gets to us, he's completely out of breath.

"I'll wait over here," my mom says as she walks away. Michael and I had agreed that we weren't together anymore after that night, knowing it would be easier than stretching out our goodbye. But I have to say, I am not mad at him for being here.

I give him a big hug and kiss.

"This is for you," and he hands me a small wrapped package.

I open it and I can barely believe it. It's the print, from his brother's exhibit, of the girl staring with those eyes that really spoke to me.

"It's a travel size version," he says.

I laugh.

"I had to really work at my brother to get this. He says if you sell it, he will kill me."

I hug him again. "I promise I will never sell it. Ever."

I look at it again. The image is so powerful, I am so glad that I can take it with me on this adventure. This might be the best gift I've ever received.

"I love you," I say as I give him one last hug.

"I love you too," he replies and he kisses me one last time on the lips and turns around and walks away before either of us get too emotional.

I just stand there, alone staring at the back of Michael and back at the photo. I carefully wrap it back up and put it in my bag.

My mom slowly walks back over to me and puts her arm around me.

"I guess this is it," I say as I turn to my mom and look in her eyes. "I love you."

"I love you too baby," she says. "You are going to do great."

"Thanks mom," I say as the tears start to flow. The tears start running down my mom's cheeks as well. 

"Now get out of here," she says as she lets go and pushes me towards the gate.

"Keep writing," she calls out after me.

"You too," I reply as I turn back and smile, tears streaking my cheeks. And I take a step and then another and then another until I am at the gate. I look at my mom and she is waving and she ushers me to keep moving. And I do. This average girl, or maybe not so average girl, keeps walking.

Right through the gate and into what should be the best year of my life!