Chapter 17

Amazon Rainforest

3rd person pov

The end of the world - Skeeter Davis

Loss. It's different for everyone. Loss could be losing a pet or your favourite shirt. Sadly, in Artemis's case, it was losing the closest thing she had to a father. She watched as a large bonfire consumed his body as Karun recited an Indian scripture in his memory. Tears stained her rosy cheeks. Artemis stared down at the fire, still in denial that he was gone. Only a few hours ago, he was making jokes and making her laugh. He was smiling. He was here.

Artemis walked to the river bed to watch Thena scatter his ashes into the river. Setting him free. She felt a slight weight lift off her knowing he wasn't in pain anymore, but a void opened inside her that could never be filled. She felt as if she could never be happy again. How could she? One of the most important people in her life was gone. Dead. Her father was never coming back, no matter how she prayed to the universe.

Druig came up beside her silently. She looked over at his eyes, which were still a dull blue, almost grey. She wanted to hug him, hold him close, just about anything to feel some sort of comfort, but was too tired to do so.

"When I left," he started, "I thought about taking over the minds of every human on this planet." Artemis stayed silent, taking in what he was saying. "Violence, fear, greed, all gone."

"Why didn't you? She asked quietly, "You could have controlled everything and made the world how you want".

"Because without their flaws, they wouldn't be human," he responded, not taking his eyes off Thena.

Artemis turned her eyes back to Thena, pondering what he had said. "Druig, we need you. We can't do this without you. "

"You didn't need me before, why now?"

"You know, that's not true. I've always needed you. "

A tiny smile made its way onto his face as he looked at her side profile. The wind gently blew her damp brunette hair out of her face. Her hair had fallen out of her braid and was sitting just below her shoulders. Light tear stains could be seen on her face, and her nose had a pink tint. "You are asking me to take control of the mind of a celestial. I do not have that kind of power Art".

"I know someone who can help with that," she smirked.

present day

Chicago

Artemis walked down the cobbled street with Sersi and Ikaris to her side. She pulled her jumper closer to her to hide the dried blood that covered her shirt. "Just let me do the talking," she reminded him coldly. The trio walked up the drive to Phastos's detached house. Art immediately spotted him fixing Jack's bike in the garage while Ben played American football with Jack. Sersi and Ikaris just stared in shock at the family. They had no idea he had a son.

"Auntie Artie," Jack shouted in excitement as he ran up to the girl. Art grinned widely and lifted Jack to rest on her hip.

"Hello Duckie," she responded, hugging him tightly.

"I told you not to call me that. I'm almost eleven," he pouted.

"But you're so cute," she said, pinching his cheeks. A loud laugh erupted from his mouth as he continued to hug Artemis. Art turned to greet Ben. "Alright," she greeted.

"I'll never understand your British slang," he said, "am I supposed to say I'm fine or what?"He asked.

Art chuckled lightly, " Alright is a fine response." Ben looked at Phastos for confirmation, to which he nodded before pulling Art in for a side hug.

"What are you doing here, Artie?" he mumbled with a tone of anger.

"We need your help."

"Artie, dad, that's superman," Jack said, pointing at Ikaris. Artemis's face immediately dropped.

"By super, you mean ..." Art was cut off by Phastos's hand over her mouth.

"Children Artemis, remember, and that's really funny, Jack". Phastos said, dryly.

"No no, he is Superman."

"He is definitely not Superman."

"I saw him on TV. He was in London fighting a monster. And you were with a cape and you were shooting laser beams out of your eyes. " Jack rambled.

"Ok, that's enough about Ikar ... Issac."

"I don't wear a cape," Ikaris responded with a blank expression.

"Okay, well, we should all go inside, right?" Phastos interrupted. Artemis turned to walk away with Jack still sitting on her hip. She caught up with Ben, they engaged in small talk till they got into the house.

Artemis, Sersi, and Ikaris all peeped around the corner of the living room to stare at Phastos helping Jack brush his teeth. Artemis's smile faltered as she realised what they were asking him to do. "Maybe we shouldn't do this," she whispered.

"What?"

"I mean, what if something happens and we fail? Jack could lose his father, and Ben could lose his husband. I don't want to tear their family apart. "

"If we don't, then the whole planet is going to be destroyed. We have to try," Sersi reasoned. Before, Art could argue that Phastos spotted them spying. The three Eternals rushed to sit at the dining table, pretending to look busy. Sersi picked up a Star Wars book, but Ikaris snatched it out of her hands, leaving her to grab an empty mug. Artemis leaned over the table, she began playing with the connect four. Phastos walked in, taking a seat next to Art.

"Yea, incredibly natural guys," he remarked sarcastically. Ikaris put down the book, which made Art sheepishly stop messing with the connect four. "So, after all these years, even you fell for Ajak's lies."

"No need to rub it in," Ikaris mumbled.

"Phastos" Art began, " I understand that you've found peace now. You have Jack and Ben, and you wouldn't trade anything in the universe for them, but if you don't help us, then they will be gone. You will wake up on a new planet with no memory of them. So we're asking, begging that you help us. Your powers are the only ones that can help," she concluded.

"I don't use my powers anymore. I chose to use my hands to fix my child's bicycle".

"Do you?" Ikaris interrupted.

"Excuse me?"

"You don't use your powers anymore?" he asked.

" No, I don't."

"You sure?"

Before Art could even start her sentence, Ikaris sent a blast of his cosmic lasers at the window. Phastos put his arm around Art as they ducked to avoid the beam. Phastos looked down in defeat before anger overtook his features.

"What the hell is wrong with you? My child is right down the hallway!"

"That looks like someone has been using his powers," Ikars remarked. I've bet you've built the perfect safehouse. What is this even made of? " He asked, looking at the table. "Vibrannium?". Ikaris slammed his fist down onto the table, breaking it in half. Everyone just stared down at it in shock.

"Fall collection. IKEA. Ass"

"I bought that table," Art whispered sadly. She quickly noticed Ben enter the living room, knowing that he was going to give Phas another emotional speech, so she motioned for others to follow her to give them privacy. The three Eternals waited outside, praying that Phastos would help them. The trio slowly began to lose hope when he walked down the driveway towards them. A solemn look was plastered on his face.

"We're going to win Phas. I promise".