Chapter 12

Experience - Ludovico Einaudi

Artemis's pov

Present-day - Australia

As a light breeze swirled the sand around my face, I pushed my sunglasses higher up my nose. Due to extreme heat, I had my sleeves rolled up past my elbow. Why did they have to live in such a hot country? Since the accident Thena wouldn't allow me to go back in case she hurt me again. I think it's such bullshit, but she could kill me without thinking, so I never went back. Gilgamesh sent me pies and postcards sometimes, but I've had no contact with them.

We made it to the top of the last hill which, led to the small house. I led the way as I was the only Eternal who had visited them before. The others were too scared too. The others consist of mostly Kingo. I pulled my sunglasses down to have a look at the beast littering the floor. "Shit" I muttered. Panic quickly overtook me. What about Gil and Thena? They're stronger now. Could they protect themselves?

"Calm down Angel", the voice spoke again. I stopped placing my hand over my forehead, trying to suppress it.

"Are you OK, Art?" Sersi asked, placing her hand on my shoulder.

I nodded, "Um, yeah, I just thought I heard a voice." I looked beside me and said, "It's nothing, I promise." I dismissed her, swiftly making my way past the Deviant.

"This is the deviant you fought in London?" Kingo asked, standing beside Ikaris.

"It's different," Ikais answered. "There must be more out there than we thought."

"Well, that's just fucking spectacular, "I remarked.

I turned around when Karun's excited voice approached the dead deviant. "Is... is this a deviant, sir?"

"Yep," Kingo answered shortly. Not impressed with the creature.

"It's a beautiful creature!" he exclaimed, intrigued by the ancient monster.

"What?" everyone asked loudly.

"This? This? Not at all. It's hideous. " Kingo exaggerated. "You've never had one try to bite your head off. Or in Art's case, have one almost eat her boyfriend, "Kingo finished.

I whipped round to face Kingo and his camera and said, "First off, he's not my boyfriend, and second, we handled that deviant just fine thanks."

"Does hiding in a ball of ivy count as 'handling it'?" he said, using air quotes.

A vine appeared at my side, ready to hit him. "Okay, I'm sorry, "he apologised, slipping past me with a cheeky grin.

I zoned out from Kingo talking to his camera as I thought about that day. Druig and I had decided to go for a walk in a field to escape Ikari's constant moaning. Our hands continually brushed against each other as we strolled side by side. He leaned down and took my hand in his, a big smile on his face. We'd made it to the outskirts of town, too consumed with each other to hear the distant roar echoing through the town. Another rippled through the field, and we immediately pulled away from each other. We turned our gaze. At the end of the field, a deviant stood still staring at us.